Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Colorado high country/snow?

Old 06-14-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Colorado high country/snow?

I'll be heading out to the St Elmo and Leadville areas in a couple weeks. How's the snow conditions (if any) on the higher elevation trails?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dan3jeeps
I'll be heading out to the St Elmo and Leadville areas in a couple weeks. How's the snow conditions (if any) on the higher elevation trails?

Thanks!
This is a good site to keep an eye on when headed to CO ...

Bushducks - Jeep Trail and Backroads Trip Reports<BR>Colorado Jeep Trails and Passes - Opening Dates
Old 06-16-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
I'm headed that way in July. Please post any conditions you find. I'm hoping Mosquito Pass will be open by then.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Thanks a ton for posting this. I love to use traildamage.com and the funtreks books but havent found anything with much accuracy of when trails will open. Been out exploring and have encountered nearly a dozen locked gates in the past couple weeks :(
Old 06-23-2014, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE... Been out exploring and have encountered nearly a dozen locked gates in the past couple weeks :([/QUOTE]

+1

I was all set to do the McAllister Gulch/Ptarmigan Pass last year in June from Shrine Pass coming in from Redcliff. Seasonal gate was still closed. What a let down. Not sure if snow was still an issue or if something more sinister (local politics) were at fault. It killed my idea of wheeling that gorgeous area that day. I WILL be trying it again this summer though.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE... Been out exploring and have encountered nearly a dozen locked gates in the past couple weeks :(
+1

I was all set to do the McAllister Gulch/Ptarmigan Pass last year in June from Shrine Pass coming in from Redcliff. Seasonal gate was still closed. What a let down. Not sure if snow was still an issue or if something more sinister (local politics) were at fault. It killed my idea of wheeling that gorgeous area that day. I WILL be trying it again this summer though. [/QUOTE]

Shrine pass is open, at least from the i-70 side. I'll check it out soon, but we still have a lot of snow up high. Looking back I usually run McAllister Gultch mid July.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

The fella who runs the General Store in St Elmo indicated last Saturday (June 28) that Tin Cup, Cumberland, Tomichi, Handc-ck Passes were all still snowed in. Also wheeling Grizzly and Lake Pomeroy Trails you would encounter snow blockage as well.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Went to Webster Pass today. Still snowed in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1519048653.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	563794  
Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

A friend and I are planning to be there on the Aug. 24, 25 and 26. We plan on starting from Lake City the morning of the 24 on Engineer Pass have lunch in Silverton then do Ophir Pass in the afternoon. Make camp at Alta Lakes that night. The 25, start out on Imogene Pass from Telluride in morning have lunch in Ouray then Black Bear Pass in the afternoon (if weather permits). If we make it do a little site seeing in Telluride Then take Last Dollar Road out and make camp along it. The 26, do a little sight seeing then head back by way of Cinnamon Pass and try to make it to Salida.

I know it's a lot of driving, my family and i flew out in June for a little recon of the area so we had been through the towns now I have to do the passes.

Does anyone know if your aloud to make camp along the trails (in a pull off area) as long as you stay near the trail? Or the camp site, like Alta Lakes. Are they first come or do you have to reserve them? Any tips will help, thanks.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

We went to Taylor Pass from Aspen yesterday; at 12,300ft there was still pockets of snow here and there. But 99% clear. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	566771

Quick Reply: Colorado high country/snow?