Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Mineral Creek Trail in Ouray, Co

Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mineral Creek Trail in Ouray, Co

I ran into this guy who had "right of way". I understand Colorado has a state law that gives up hill drivers the ROW.
I walked down to converse with him, he was pretty rude. His comment was, " Uphill has right of way". I replied, "please
spot me, I'm on an off camber turn and can't see behind me". He huffed and puffed back into his jeep. He then proceeded to back up.
I drove down a bit and saw he had a huge turn out to back into with no drop off to speak of. I rolled my window an thanked him.
He gave me a pretty nasty look. Watch out for this D B.

I'm wearing the black sweats.

Just a heads up for this trail, its tight. Yet beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Uphill.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	565538  

Last edited by helmet10; 07-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

That trail is tight, did it once during JJUSA we had 15 going up hill and had a DB going downhill that decided he was coming no matter what.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Common sense must prevail. We were coming down last year at the narrow shelf road near the end. Three other vehicles were headed up, and we overheard their lead say on CB that we were going "backwards". We pulled up beside lead (he was where it got just wide enough) and asked him to wait--we were five vehicles with three towing trailers. It would have taken forever for us to follow state law.

Here is video of Engineer Pass and Mineral Creek, though it doesn't include anything about that encounter ...

Colorado Campaign, July 2013, Part 3: http://youtu.be/n1dvPQyn3og

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 07-16-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

I think these are not the normal experiences, most people you run into on self roads rather its the uphill driver or downhill driver will take the first spot to allow others to pass. As for big groups its probably the smart thing for the smaller groups to find spots to let them by because sometimes there just aren't enough of them.. This area (Ouray) will and does limit the numbers in groups during the jamboree events. Like you say common sense should come first.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I Pulled Over

I pulled over to give this guy the ROW. It was a BadArse machine.
Much respect for driving that thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140709_123238.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	565875
Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

I can relate, but I didnt handle correctly like you did.

Last Thursday we were heading from the telluride side to silverton via Ophir pass. We started up the only real narrow part of the entire trail and before we pass the last pullover spot we checked for downhill traffic and saw a vehicle pulled over waiting on us. We continue climbing when this jeep passes the parked rig and heads right for us. He pulls over as far as he can and I cant believe what im seeing. After checking it out, i figure I have just enough room to pass. He looked scared too death and I was afraid he might wreck or cause me to wreck if he moved. The wife hung out the window while I squeezed as close to his jeep as I could. As we crawled past him he apologized and I just shook my head. His kids looked terrified in the back seat. When we got up to the first parked vehicle the guy said 'dang bro that was sketchy'. He wasnt lying.

Afterwards I was angry at myself for even trying it. I should have done what you did but I didn't. Thankfully it worked out for us. Next time I wont chance it.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shovel and Axe

Hi Mark! I know that you are using the toughstuff hood mount. I am looking at getting one as well! But, I really like the shovel and the axe with the red handles and the black non reflective parts. Can you tell me where you got those? Also, any problems with the toughstuff hood mount? I was wondering if the hood hinges are strong enough to support the weight of the tools.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Common sense must prevail. We were coming down last year at the narrow shelf road near the end. Three other vehicles were headed up, and we overheard their lead say on CB that we were going "backwards". We pulled up beside lead (he was where it got just wide enough) and asked him to wait--we were five vehicles with three towing trailers. It would have taken forever for us to follow state law.

Here is video of Engineer Pass and Mineral Creek, though it doesn't include anything about that encounter ...

Colorado Campaign, July 2013, Part 3: http://youtu.be/n1dvPQyn3og
Old 07-19-2014, 12:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Machoo
Hi Mark! I know that you are using the toughstuff hood mount. I am looking at getting one as well! But, I really like the shovel and the axe with the red handles and the black non reflective parts. Can you tell me where you got those? Also, any problems with the toughstuff hood mount? I was wondering if the hood hinges are strong enough to support the weight of the tools.

Thanks!
No problems with the hood mount, and it's been on there quite a few years now, and through all you may have seen in my videos (plus way more, LOL). The tools are actually quite a bit lighter than the Hi-lift, which I had on that mount until I installed the Shrockworks rear bumper (where the jack is not located). There is no issue with hood hinge strength. I bought the red handled axe at Lowes. I have painted it black and red--it did have a shiny finish on the head of the axe, and the handle faded over a period of time. The shovel is a Craftsman. Ditto on the fading and painting.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many people don't use common sense on the trail. And often, the ones who don't, can't look beyond their own nose and consider everyone's maneuverability in the situation and see that safety is first priority.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bronc
I can relate, but I didnt handle correctly like you did.

Last Thursday we were heading from the telluride side to silverton via Ophir pass. We started up the only real narrow part of the entire trail and before we pass the last pullover spot we checked for downhill traffic and saw a vehicle pulled over waiting on us. We continue climbing when this jeep passes the parked rig and heads right for us. He pulls over as far as he can and I cant believe what im seeing. After checking it out, i figure I have just enough room to pass. He looked scared too death and I was afraid he might wreck or cause me to wreck if he moved. The wife hung out the window while I squeezed as close to his jeep as I could. As we crawled past him he apologized and I just shook my head. His kids looked terrified in the back seat. When we got up to the first parked vehicle the guy said 'dang bro that was sketchy'. He wasnt lying.

Afterwards I was angry at myself for even trying it. I should have done what you did but I didn't. Thankfully it worked out for us. Next time I wont chance it.
It's a hard call sometimes but even to back up is better then rolling off the mtn. One thing about the Ouray area is there are so many rental jeeps that a lot of these guys don't understand these trails.
We are headed to Schofield Pass today where backing up is the only option for a big part of the trail.

Quick Reply: Mineral Creek Trail in Ouray, Co