Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Trails near Colorado's Front Range

Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails near Colorado's Front Range

Hi there! I'm just starting to get into wheeling with my 4 year old son, who thinks it's the coolest thing in the world. I haven't taken him on any real technical trails, but we'd love to find some more moderate trails to run in the front range of CO (we live in Littleton). I'm thinking mud, inclines/declines, mild water crossings, etc. So, anyone have any trails to point us towards? Any good trail books or guides I should pick up? Any clubs out there we should join?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a lot of mud and only streams for any water crossings. Georgetown (old abandoned mine up there). There's a place with a downed plane off Rt. 7 north of ward. Idaho springs has som trails as well. Your best bet? Buy a book of all the trails in CO.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdschup
Hi there! I'm just starting to get into wheeling with my 4 year old son, who thinks it's the coolest thing in the world. I haven't taken him on any real technical trails, but we'd love to find some more moderate trails to run in the front range of CO (we live in Littleton). I'm thinking mud, inclines/declines, mild water crossings, etc. So, anyone have any trails to point us towards? Any good trail books or guides I should pick up? Any clubs out there we should join?

Thanks for the help!
Get you the guide to Colo backroads & 4- wheel drive trails by Charles A Wells. Great trail book to have
There are two editions . Also great club to join is High Country Adventures, ( Maverick is the leader and founder )
They do a lot of scenic to light moderate trails , family stuff good group..
Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Better yet. Subscribe to trails.com. You get access to all the popular 4x4 trails books in the whole U S
Old 10-15-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TrailDamage.com

McClellan Mountain is one of my favs and don't let the 4/5 worry you, it's really not that bad. Couple crossing of the creek. In the spring it can run 30" +. This time of year, you start to get a little bit of ice and have to be aware of that.

TrailDamage.com - McClellan Mountain

This was a couple years ago during the drought in July when the creeks become calm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgh5zr7bsrs This is Saxon pass also above Georgetown. But not for the faint of heart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia_wayxnzdI Schubarth a few years ago before the fires shut it down. Very simple trail be very cool boulders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbMFeCJwNDE

Last edited by RoysRig; 10-15-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Check out trails in the Pike national forest in Douglas county. Nothing extreme I'd say the toughest is Illinois gulch. Traildamage.com is your best bet
Old 02-07-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoysRig
TrailDamage.com

This is Saxon pass also above Georgetown. But not for the faint of heart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia_wayxnzdI
When I did Saxon a couple years ago there was a rock slide across the trail just before the wide turn out area where you stopped. That was certainly NOT listed in the Charles Wells book. It took me about 10 attempts to get over it (no lockers) but I finally got it. It was darn nerve racking. Must have been cleared...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	595780
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	595782
Old 02-07-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dan3jeeps
When I did Saxon a couple years ago there was a rock slide across the trail just before the wide turn out area where you stopped. That was certainly NOT listed in the Charles Wells book. It took me about 10 attempts to get over it (no lockers) but I finally got it. It was darn nerve racking. Must have been cleared...

Attachment 595780
Attachment 595782
That's always my biggest worry, it's not the going up, but what is going to stop me from getting back down.

Oh and that was recorded about 3 years ago. So it might still be that way now.

Last edited by RoysRig; 02-07-2015 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Trails near Colorado's Front Range