Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Back seat headrest solution!

Old 07-01-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back seat headrest solution!

I got tired of having the little vision one has, blocked by the rear head rest. I tried strapping, taping, nothing worked right.

So to day, I took a screw driver, bend back the padding, tied the headrest back and drilled a hole, cut a cutter pin back, tied a 6” leader from my tackle box to it, pushed it in and boy, does it work well.

If and when I have someone in the back seat, I pull the pin and all is back to normal

Hole by pivot:

Cutter pin with to leader tied to headrest shaft:

Pin inserted:

Old 07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

The first thing i did with those headrests was take them out of the Jeep on both mine and my girls. They dont do shit anyway.
Same thing with my escape home from the deal and the headrest were in the house.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tried a bungee cord but gave up cause it looked like crap. And i didn't want to just remove them. I don't like the idea of removing anything that is considered safety equipment and is required by federal safety standards (except for the mirrors that come off with the doors). I don't think everyone understands that a head rest, short for head restraint, is not there solely so you can rest your head. it is intended to prevent serious neck trauma in the event of a rear end collision. And therefore shouldn't just be completely removed.

That said this is perfect because like you said if you have rear seat passengers, taller than 4'5",you can simply return the head restraints to their intended position.This is a great mod and i'll be breaking out the drill tomorrow, thanks for sharing this much safer option.
This will also help for when the seats are folded down and the position of the front seats is adjusted.

P.S. I hope I'm not coming off as a dick to those who did completely remove them.

Last edited by jeepthrill; 07-01-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twinturbostang
The first thing i did with those headrests was take them out of the Jeep on both mine and my girls. They dont do shit anyway.
Same thing with my escape home from the deal and the headrest were in the house.
Aren't the headrests there to keep a passenger's neck from being broken if you get rear-ended?

I've been rear-ended (not in my jeep) before and I recall my head slamming pretty hard into the headrest.

I guess removing them isn't a problem if noone (or only little people) ride in your backseat. I like Egmont's mod, and it seems simlpe enough/temporary.

Last edited by schwarzjp; 07-02-2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 AM
JK Junkie

i dont see the big deal with them... and what exactly did you do?? just make them lay back or completely remove the head rest and the posts?

if you just laid them back... there is another thread to showed about a 30 second mod that is reversible...

you just pop the springs that flip them up when the seats sit up and then they lay back... but can be flipped forward if someone is riding... and of course, you can put the springs back in place to restore original function
Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To my knowledge, the headrests on the 4 doors are not removable like they are on the 2 doors like you and I have, so people have had to come up with other solutions.

Mine are still in place, my rear seat gets used. If it didnt, i would not bother pulling the headrests, i would just yank the whole seat out.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Doesn't seem real smart, actually stupid. Please leave them there for the kids. http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...n&source=money
Old 07-03-2007, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am not really sure why you did the mod. I just fold the seat down if no-one is back there and I want the extra vision.

I guess if you need to keep the seats up it for some reason and want more vision it is worth while.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lightning
Doesn't seem real smart, actually stupid. Please leave them there for the kids. http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...n&source=money
It is smart if people dont seat in the back and now you are able to see out the back window.
I have them right in the back in my girls JK so if she has anyone in the back seat she can pull them out for them.

As for being for the "kids" I dont have kids and even if i did the headrests in the jk are very tall and most kids head would be lower.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeephrog
I am not really sure why you did the mod. I just fold the seat down if no-one is back there and I want the extra vision.

I guess if you need to keep the seats up it for some reason and want more vision it is worth while.
One benefit I would expect to come from the mod is that it would allow the front seats to be adjusted while the rear seats are down. I noticed this when i first folded the rear seats. I would expect it to be the front seat passenger (since they usually don't care about your jeep) who would try to force their seat back .

Quick Reply: Back seat headrest solution!