Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Centerforce Clutch Install Write-Up

Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be having to do this on my 2012 JKUR pretty soon. Thanks for the details!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

So I finished the clutch replacement last weekend and it was one hell of a chore. That said, the satisfaction of doing it yourself is awesome. Top of that, no bolts missing is a plus. Here are some notes that may help out other Jeepers.

1. The most difficult part will be removing the exhaust. The bolts going from the exhaust manifold to the Y tube are a major pain to remove. The nut is square and uses a clip to hold it in place. This is all well and good for installation but when you go to remove it... once the nut hits some rust the clip can't hold it in place and it begins to spin. We had to use vice grips to hold it in place which is a major pain. One didn't even come off with the vice grips and we eventually had to take a saw za to it. I replaced them with similar bolts with a regular nut from Carquest and have had no issues or leaks in the exhaust system.
  2. Watch out for the O2 sensors when removing the Y tube. The one nearest the manifold is particularly tricky and it is easy to hit it and damage it on the way out. Consider removing them prior to exhaust removal and after install.
  3. Check all sensor plugs on the tranny when before removal. Even with Alldata, they failed to mention a couple plugs and I almost ripped one out when lowering the transmission.
  4. If possible, do this on a lift. Even with an impact wrench we found ourselves needing a breaker bar.
  5. Most torque specs on bolts are 30 - 35 lbs. The exceptions are the linkages which are 15 lbs, starter is 17 lbs, bottom 4 bolts on the tranny are 40 lbs, 2 on the side of tranny (one on each side) are 50 lbs. If in doubt, 35 should do fine.
  6. You will run into road blocks. Unless you are a seasoned, professional mechanic be prepared to spend in excess of 15 hours on this project. You may get nervous when getting the transmission out, don't worry, putting it back in is much easier.
  7. Getting the throwout bearing on is a little tricky, consider using vice grips to grab the clips once they are through the opening in the fork.

These are all the notes I really have. If you have any questions let me know. This wasn't an overly complicated task, just very labor intensive. Patience is a virtue for sure.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default New LUK Clutch Kit!!!

Thanks for your write up!

I was driving back from Nashville, TN back to Richmond,VA and my clutch went out right at 100,000 miles. Managed to drive back close to 70 miles to Richmond then My clutch was completely done. Got the car towed. Anyway I put a new LUK Clutch kit in it, but the TOB that comes with is CRAP! I replaced that with a SKF TOB, and she is driving like she is brand new! The clutch feels like a cloud now! I just didn't wanna spend a lot of money for a clutch kit.

I've driven about 1000 miles on the new clutch already and no problems yet!

Cheers!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Which model centerforce clutch kit are you guys getting? 1 or 2?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

why does he call the starter...the master cylinder?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xman4602
Which model centerforce clutch kit are you guys getting? 1 or 2?
After going through 2 OEM clutches in the first 60k miles I went with the CF Dual Friction and was happy with it, last month after running it for about 85k miles I started feeling it start slipping. This time around I went with the CFT360981 Centerforce II Pressure Plate and 383914 Centerforce Clutch Disc because it was a little less expensive than the DF and so far I don't have any complaints.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Did you go with centerforce flywheel?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default I made a video on how to replace the clutch 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Thanks to a lot of the information in this thread, I made it through a clutch replacement. I felt the need to pay the community back, so I made a video showing step by step how I completed the task. I hope this helps someone else as much as this thread helped me. Thanks, everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmG9R1f8kxo
Old 04-24-2015, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GunMonkey
Thanks to a lot of the information in this thread, I made it through a clutch replacement. I felt the need to pay the community back, so I made a video showing step by step how I completed the task. I hope this helps someone else as much as this thread helped me. Thanks, everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmG9R1f8kxo
WOW!!!!! Great video. Thanks for all that work. I paid a shop to do mine. But this is a great thread.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered the Dual Friction kit from Northridge for my '13. Does anyone know what brand throw out bearing comes with it? Even the tech support guy at Centerforce didn't know what it was. He just knew it wasn't the Mopar one. Mine's been rattling for the past 18,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Centerforce Clutch Install Write-Up