Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

In Dash Winch Control

Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used 16 gauge four wire towing cable I bought at Walmart. It came in a 25' package. I have read other jeep owners using outdoor extension cord wire to do in cab controls. I would assume it would work since the original control cable uses 16 gauge extension cord wire. I used the flat ribbon because it fit flush under the center dash and matched the control socket colors except black. I substituted yellow for the black ground wire to keep wiring simple.

So just for clarity:

From winch socket to in dash controls color codes.

White (+12v) - white
Green (IN) - Green
Brown (Out) – Brown
Black (ground) - Yellow
Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have taken WRATHYJEEP and Putnam dan's safety advise and ordered a Mom-Off-Mom switch from MDlott's link (previous page). This non-sponsor site had rubber boot that thread on over the metal switch. This should be a much cleaner look with added safety.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that is a right on switch
good job
my idea was to go with 3 position like u had
on off on
and make the power switch
off - mom switch

6 of 1 half the other
good job now if i can find a place to put my switches all will be good
I'm thinking in side the console.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

I have been planning on do the same thing. I have all the parts just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I got the panel from the 12 volt guy and I am using the arming switch in conjuction with a warn battery interupt to energize the winch itself.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TiredPete
I have been planning on do the same thing. I have all the parts just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I got the panel from the 12 volt guy and I am using the arming switch in conjuction with a warn battery interupt to energize the winch itself.
I'd like to see your pics when your done.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

Talking Sweet

I have broken my SB XRC8 winch remote and I need to fix it..... Any Ideas of how to put that switch combo on the remote itself and remove the stuff in the remote? I am decent at wires for a house, but a small motherboard confounds me to no end......
Old 12-27-2007, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TiredPete

Does he have a JK-specific one or just a universal one? I asked him a while back and he didn't have anything yet.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The_Captain
I have broken my SB XRC8 winch remote and I need to fix it..... Any Ideas of how to put that switch combo on the remote itself and remove the stuff in the remote? I am decent at wires for a house, but a small motherboard confounds me to no end......
Yes, in fact I bought two of the Mom-Off-Mom switches and plan to use one of them to make an external remote cable. I am going to use a project box from Radioshack. They also carry the three pin connector to plug into the winch socket. It is marketed as a Mic connector. I will do a write-up once the switches come in. My remote design was not going to use the red flip-up racing switch. I figured the original didn’t have one and it would save me a couple of bucks.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
Does he have a JK-specific one or just a universal one? I asked him a while back and he didn't have anything yet.
It is not JK Specific. It is the Winch Control With Buttons.

Originally Posted by rfrogman
I'd like to see your pics when your done.
I will post them up when done.

Pete

Last edited by TiredPete; 12-29-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default did you have to duck?

Originally Posted by rfrogman
I left the doors unlocked and they took everything in my center console including the remote cable. I got complacent since it was setting in my driveway. Normally no one comes on my property. Since then I added an aftermarket two stage alarm and lock my doors :-).
Boy, my previous comment went right over your head.

Quick Reply: In Dash Winch Control