Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

ESP Kill Switch Writeup

Old 11-15-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonboy74
I did not want it to light up, so I only soldered wires to terminals NO1 and C1
Ok, thanks. I guess that's what's confusing me. I thought you would want to connect to NC, so that the circuit was normally closed and only "broke" when you pushed the button, versus NO which I understand to mean that the circuit is not connected unless you DO push the button, which doesn't sound like what we're after here.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdschup
Ok, thanks. I guess that's what's confusing me. I thought you would want to connect to NC, so that the circuit was normally closed and only "broke" when you pushed the button, versus NO which I understand to mean that the circuit is not connected unless you DO push the button, which doesn't sound like what we're after here.
That probably works fine as well, but since I wasn't using the light it didn't matter much to me if I wiring it up using NC vs NO. I'm assuming the NC terminal works but I didn't test it, I just wired it up to the NO terminal since that one was "supposed to work" as per the diagram. Not sure how the LED ring works, I suppose it works when the button is pressed using either NC or NO, but I may mess with one of my extras this weekend to see how it works.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cedarraider
Just did mine. The hardest part was getting the plug off he black box so I could cut and splice the wire. Thanks for the thread when I could barely climb the silver lake sand dunes in 2wd this summer I almost lost hope. Can't wait for next summer to get at it again. Time for a shot of angels envy whiskey, cheers.
Hey there neighbor, your welcome!

Silver Lake Sand Dunes ROCKS!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Hey there neighbor, your welcome! Silver Lake Sand Dunes ROCKS!
Yes it does. I'm over in cedar. Next time we head down to the dunes I'll have to give you a heads up.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cedarraider
Yes it does. I'm over in cedar. Next time we head down to the dunes I'll have to give you a heads up.

Sounds good. We make it at least once a year usually.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks OP!!!!! here's to you, sir..... Guess what I'll be doing tonight??? Driving on sand and having that crap kick in sucks monkey balls
Old 10-18-2015, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the write up! It worked perfectly and excited to try out the new "mud mode"! Now if we could just get some rain here on the central coast...
Old 11-04-2015, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Great hack.
One question: if this wire is disabling the center accelerometer, has it disabled the airbags as well?
It is my understanding that Jeep uses this sensor for airbag deployment instead of the old bumper sensors.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi
Thanks OP!!!!! here's to you, sir..... Guess what I'll be doing tonight??? Driving on sand and having that crap kick in sucks monkey balls
Originally Posted by Hoseman
Thanks for the write up! It worked perfectly and excited to try out the new "mud mode"! Now if we could just get some rain here on the central coast...
Your welcome guy's! 2WD hi range with rear locked is fun in the sand dunes, but you will soon realize a v8 would be real handy!

Originally Posted by mrayedwards
Great hack.
One question: if this wire is disabling the center accelerometer, has it disabled the airbags as well?
It is my understanding that Jeep uses this sensor for airbag deployment instead of the old bumper sensors.
It is very possible, but honestly I have no idea. I will say that no airbag light comes on... if there even is one.

But if it does, it further supports the whole concept of this mod in my opinion. Just like I dont want ABS and traction control nannies stepping in when I am off road, I dont really want to worry about blowing an airbag either.

It would also support my reasoning for not using it on the street.

Last edited by olyelr; 11-27-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did this mod every bit of a year ago and no problems. 3 weeks ago my jeep went into "limp home mode", check engine light on and stuck in third gear. Took it to the dealer and they found the switch that momentarily disconnects the ESP. They made me remove everything including my manual locker switches. They said the torque converter went and messed up the pump and other parts so they rebuilt the tranny (23k miles). I get it back and drive straight home, everything was fine. I hooked up my Aeroforce gauges and set my tire size and TMPS. Went to pull it out of the garage today and the ESC light came on. I've disconnected the Aeroforce gauges, disconnected the battery for 20 minutes and the ESC light still comes on.

My concern is that the jeep worked fine until I got home and hooked up the Aeroforce gauges. I know when I take this back to the dealer they are going to go right back to the "ESC switch" and blame it on that.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I believe if the ESP switch is tripped (whether by a momentary or open circuit, both the ABS and ESC lights come on like in the write up. I only have the ESC light.

Last edited by Mschneid; 12-06-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Writeup