Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Headlights flickering after Cibie/bulb/harness upgrade - need help!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlights flickering after Cibie/bulb/harness upgrade - need help!

Last week I installed a headlight upgrade:

Cibie E code housing
Hella 80/100w bulbs
Putco harness with relays ( link to harness )

Initial impression was not as pleasing as I had hoped. I have been reading many review on this set up and was greatly dissapointed. Yes the light is directed better with the cibie housings but the brightness, sadly, is comparable to the stock sealed beam housings...

Now, I am noticing the lights dim/fluctuate as I accelerate and continue to fluctuate brightness as I maintain speed.

I want to think it is the harness, but I checked all connections (which were tight).

So that leads me to the battery?
Perhaps the method I have the leads connected to the battery?

I am hoping if there is a fix for this fluctuation that it will also help with the overall brightness, as 80w low beam should be quite bright, compared to the stock sealed beam headlights.

Any thoughts/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure anything out? I just did did a cibie e-code upgrade using a home built harness and didn't have any issues. The light is much improved with my 55w/100w lamps. Plan to upgrade to 80w/100w shortly but had the other lamps on hand. Does your harness have the resistors and diodes installed?

Quick Reply: Headlights flickering after Cibie/bulb/harness upgrade - need help!