Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installation and Pictures of the Smittybilt Oversize Tire Carrier 2743

Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed one this weekend. My only complaint was the light bracket doesn't sit strait. I will fix it later. I got a 1.5" rubber coupling (for use with schedule 40 pvc pipe) and put it between the wheel and carrier. I didn't like the idea of metal against metal. Worked great!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had this on for a month now and love it...no squeaks or rattles and seems to be decently well built although I hate the "made in china" aspect of the shittybilt products...as a temporary fix until I fab up my bumpers it will do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3617400233.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	483831
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but what is the verdict on this tire carrier? I am ordering 37's and need a temporary tire carrier until I can buy a rear bumper with tire carrier. Don't have 1600 for the bumper/tire carrier I want, but I want to mount my full size spare. Probably would only use this for 6 months to a year.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sucker Punch
I know this is an old thread, but what is the verdict on this tire carrier? I am ordering 37's and need a temporary tire carrier until I can buy a rear bumper with tire carrier. Don't have 1600 for the bumper/tire carrier I want, but I want to mount my full size spare. Probably would only use this for 6 months to a year.
Wow, can't believe it's been 3.5 yrs since I did this write up. Well, I never did "upgrade" to a more expensive setup. This one has served it's intended purpose well and remains installed. Still no rattles, everything secure.

Cheers,

Jason
Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JRockman
Wow, can't believe it's been 3.5 yrs since I did this write up. Well, I never did "upgrade" to a more expensive setup. This one has served it's intended purpose well and remains installed. Still no rattles, everything secure.

Cheers,

Jason
Awesome. Thanks for the response. BTW, great write up. Guess this will be going on my order list.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Wow, i wish i had seen this thread before i spent more money trying to cover up the vent and all the holes in the tailgate.

I started hearing rattling in the back after about a year, and thought i was doing damage, and went ahead and took the tire off -

were you hearing rattling prior to this install? and now as you mentioned you hear no rattle at all??

Sorry just want to confirm , as i want to return everything i have ordered and buy the over-sized tire carrier instead.

I see your tire is resting on the bumper, I'm interested to know if others who's tires are NOT resting on the bumper are experiencing rattles of any kind -

Also with (Mickey Thompson / 33x12.50R17LT / Baja MTZ) will i be able to make them touch the bumper at the lowest hole setting?

Thanks again,
and great write up!

Last edited by angelol; 04-28-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Might as well add my 2 cents.

I installed this carrier about a year ago. At the time, I had a heavy steel wheel/33" KM2 (about 97lbs total). Tire carrier held fine. No problems at all.

Went to stock wheels and 35" tires. Even though, this new combo is lighter (about 85lbs), my tail gate began to really rattle. I have the spare off now, and am looking at a bumper/carrier now. I tried to use the 33" mount, but my 35" tires still won't rest on the bumper.

Quick Reply: Installation and Pictures of the Smittybilt Oversize Tire Carrier 2743