Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Momentary Clutch Bypass

Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Momentary Clutch Bypass

So i know there are a few other threads on this topic, but i have not seen one with a solution like mine, so i thought i'd share. The purpose here is be able to start your manual JK without having to push in the clutch pedal. Being able to start the vehicle from outside, or from the passanger seat are just 2 examples of the benefits of this.

Some people have hard wired a solution like this. I didnt like this option. There are many posts of problems arising from this (ie. people dont know about it and start er up in gear). You also have the problem of no cruise control.

The other option is a toggle switch. When "on", no cluth needed. But suseptible to the same problems mentioned above. When "off", no benefit at all.

The option i went with, is a momentary switch:

Click image for larger version

Name:	momentary_switch.jpg
Views:	2564
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	165134

I got these in a 4-pack for about $4. Why is there more than 4 in this pack? Good question! Be careful. I first bought the wrong type of switch. Momentary switches come in 2 types, "normally open" & "normally closed". You want "normally open". This means the circuit is broken until you push the button, that completes the circuit.

The first step is to tap into the the correct wire in the engine bay (photo and info taken from https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...out-clutch-YES)

Name:	3rdplugfromleftfinished.jpg
Views:	3095
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	165130

Of these 3 clips, you need the one closest to the radiator. Unplug it, then find the yellow/red stripe wire. You need to splice into that. This wire leads to ground when the clutch pedal is in. This is what we are trying to trick our JK into thinking. So take your spliced wire and run it into the cab. Next, you need to remove the lower plastic cover of your steering column (sorry no pics of this part). In the 2011, there is 1 T20 bolt in the middle of the bottom of this piece of plastic. Then on the outsides, there are 2 holes that have T15 bolts buried inside. I needed to go out and buy an extension to be able to reach them. Once that lower piece is off, drill a small hole near the key hole, and mount up your momentary switch. There are 2 pins on the switch. Its purpose is just to sit in line. So run your spliced wire (from yellow/red) to one pin, and other to ground. Now when you hold the button in, the jeep "thinks" the clutch is in. Here is a pic of my finished product:

Name:	momentary_ignition.jpg
Views:	2222
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	165133

so now all i do is turn the key while holding the button and RRUUUMMMM she starts right up. I love this mod!!!!

(ps, nevermind those 2 upside-down photos attached)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	momentary_switch.jpg
Views:	1382
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	165131   Click image for larger version

Name:	momentary_ignition.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	165132  

Last edited by pickjones; 05-27-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Thats awesome! Was just thinking how to go about this the other day. Great job!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh wow thats great and looks really clean... And I'm assuming you need to be in neutral when turning it on?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be missing something. Don't JK's start in 4L without the clutch pushed in?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KenB1010
I must be missing something. Don't JK's start in 4L without the clutch pushed in?
Yes it does, these guys are just lazy lol open the door and press in the clutch lol, cool write up though
Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Great idea. My wife is always complaining that she can't start the jeep from the passenger side when she gets in it and I'm still loading stuff. It sucks in Florida when I is always 100 degrees out. I'm working on the jeep this weekend and I'm adding this to the list.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looked at the pic of the momentary switches. You said there are two types: momentary on and off. Does it say it on the package somewhere? Also, If I choose to use a toggle switch and it is in the off position would I still be able to use the clutch at that point? My thought is, I wonder if there is a way to wire it as some sort of safety feature/ kill switch where it won't start unless you have the switch "on" which could be hidden somewhere?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rdelemos
Great idea. My wife is always complaining that she can't start the jeep from the passenger side when she gets in it and I'm still loading stuff. It sucks in Florida when I is always 100 degrees out. I'm working on the jeep this weekend and I'm adding this to the list.
just make sure you train her to check the stick first. just good habit. Let us know how the install goes...

Originally Posted by RANGER666
I looked at the pic of the momentary switches. You said there are two types: momentary on and off. Does it say it on the package somewhere? Also, If I choose to use a toggle switch and it is in the off position would I still be able to use the clutch at that point? My thought is, I wonder if there is a way to wire it as some sort of safety feature/ kill switch where it won't start unless you have the switch "on" which could be hidden somewhere?
As for the switch, the first package i bought gave no indication of which it was. The second pack that i bought from radio shack had this on the back (you can see is says normally open above, and the image of the broken circuit below):

Name:	momentary_switch_package.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	172244

As for your other point, i have thought quite a bit about this since installing this switch. thinking, can i disconnect the clutch, so the switch is the only way to start it? seems like it would be harder to steal the jeep, i mean whos looking for a button on the steering column? Then i thought, wait a minute, i should have just made push button ignition. I still think i might do this, but have no idea how to yet.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

As for your other point, i have thought quite a bit about this since installing this switch. thinking, can i disconnect the clutch, so the switch is the only way to start it? seems like it would be harder to steal the jeep, i mean whos looking for a button on the steering column? Then i thought, wait a minute, i should have just made push button ignition. I still think i might do this, but have no idea how to yet.[/QUOTE]

I have been researching this too, although I can't find anything on it due to the complexity of the new ignitions. The best idea I can come up with is an overall power kill/switch. basically running a switch to the ignition fuse in the fuse box and use that to switch on and off when I want to start it. This way, the jeep could be started normally but first the operator must turn on the "main power switch" which is hidden in a place of their choice.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER666
As for your other point, i have thought quite a bit about this since installing this switch. thinking, can i disconnect the clutch, so the switch is the only way to start it? seems like it would be harder to steal the jeep, i mean whos looking for a button on the steering column? Then i thought, wait a minute, i should have just made push button ignition. I still think i might do this, but have no idea how to yet.

I have been researching this too, although I can't find anything on it due to the complexity of the new ignitions. The best idea I can come up with is an overall power kill/switch. basically running a switch to the ignition fuse in the fuse box and use that to switch on and off when I want to start it. This way, the jeep could be started normally but first the operator must turn on the "main power switch" which is hidden in a place of their choice.
A bit of a late reply, but I did that on my TJ. I ran a switch from the ignition fuse and out the factory wire loom so you can't tell its there. Then I hid the switch in the cabin.

(with switch in off) With this you can put the key in and everything works, lights, radio, but when you try to start it just keeps turning over and over and over so it sounds like the vehicle is just broken down. Some thieves are smart and if you disable the power with an actual kill switch so nothing works its rather obvious that something is blocking the power, but this way everything works including cranking. Just doesn't start

On the other hand this mod (this thread) is actually exactly what I was looking for. In the TJ you just unplugged the module by the clutch. This is a rather smart way to do it so you still keep cruise I'll have to pickup the switch this week and give it a shot.

Thanks for the write up!

Quick Reply: Momentary Clutch Bypass