Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Oil leak from the rear of the upper oil pan

Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak from the rear of the upper oil pan

About 6 months ago my wife nailed a rock and put a hole in the upper oil pan. When I replaced it i made a Bobo..lol. I left the two rear bolts in not knowing that they were there. While I tried to pull the upper pan off I managed to almost tear the bolts out. When I put it back together I tried to straighten it the best I could. I still have a leak and it is getting much worse now. Any suggestions on how to stop the leak without buying a new transmission. That is what the dealership said I needed to do. Any help would be great.. thank you everyone in advance.

It is a 2014 JKU Rubicon. Auto Trans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14872609246181824692804.jpg
Views:	12738
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	666684  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Any info or suggestions are appreciated

Please if you have any ideas or suggestions please post them...
Old 03-22-2017, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you saying you bent the lip of the oil pan? From the pic, it looks like you're missing a bolt.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I think the post is confusing in general....highlighted by the response above. You had a hole in your oil pan, went to take it off, jacked up 2 bolts, and now dealer is telling you you'd need a new transmission to fix it? LOL. I must be missing something. I think if re-explain it better, you might get more responses. Is the problem that you've jacked up 2 bolts on the oil pan? the threads are jacked so the bolts wont seal the pan properly? If that is the case, you've tried re-tapping the threads? If the problem is different, please elaborate.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default The seal

When I originally took the upper pan off I be t the area the bolts go into. Since it is all cast aluminum I can not retread it or get it bent back in place. The part that it is bent is the bottom of the transmission. This is why they are saying to fix the problem I need a new transmission nousing. Sorry for the bad pictures. I hope this explains it better. I don't k ow how else to explain it since u don't know the proper part names.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by jabsgh88
When I originally took the upper pan off I be t the area the bolts go into. Since it is all cast aluminum I can not retread it or get it bent back in place. The part that it is bent is the bottom of the transmission. This is why they are saying to fix the problem I need a new transmission nousing. Sorry for the bad pictures. I hope this explains it better. I don't k ow how else to explain it since u don't know the proper part names.
Just went through the oil pan removal write up and it makes more sense now. Damn, that sux. Presume the first attempt at reinstalling included a lot of RTV, and that didn't work?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default A bunch of RVT

When I first reinstalled it it nearly didn't leak at all. Now it leaks constantly.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

The picture is mainly to just show where the bolts were. The lower pan bolt that is gone doesn't leak at all. But up in those 2 holes shown in the picture Is where I messed up. I didn't know there were bolts up there so I destroyed the area that the upper pan mounts to.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So the two bolts you damaged. Can you tighten them at all? If so, I would imagine removing the pan and using a little more RTV should seal things back up I would think.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are referring to circled positions in the attached image, correct?

If so, can you drill and heli-coil the original holes?

Worst case scenario is drilling new mounting holes in the upper pan and transfer punching these into the transmission then drilling/tapping. It may be difficult to access these bolts though as I see current two have access pockets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OP.JPG
Views:	2749
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	668985

Quick Reply: Oil leak from the rear of the upper oil pan