Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Plasti Dip inside the hard top

Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti Dip inside the hard top

I was looking at the inside of the hard top and i was not too crazy about how it was white on the inside. So i plasti dipped it with a gunmetal gray. i did the front panels first to see if i would like it. i loved it so i did the rest this weekend. i took about 6 can to get a really good think coat all over it. i was wondering about how it will hod up in the vegas heat but they say its rated to like 315 degrees or something like that. so i don't think that there will be a problem. let me know what you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg
Views:	1915
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	526407

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Views:	2580
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	526408

Name:	unnamed-3.jpg
Views:	1746
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	526409

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1516
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	526410
Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

I like the look. I've thought of the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Much better, huh!! I did mine last year, but I did Krylon plastic paint instead... Turned out SHAWEEEEEET... Getting rid of that white cooler box look is one of my top 2 or 3 mods that i've done. World of difference

My main concern with plasti-dip would be maybe rubbing it off when you unlatch the top... I didn't use it though, so I dunno... If it ends up peeling and being a hassle, I can vouch for Krylon Fusions paint on it!!

Thought I had some pics of mine on here that I could post, but I don't...
Old 01-26-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ouroborus2012
Much better, huh!! I did mine last year, but I did Krylon plastic paint instead... Turned out SHAWEEEEEET... Getting rid of that white cooler box look is one of my top 2 or 3 mods that i've done. World of difference My main concern with plasti-dip would be maybe rubbing it off when you unlatch the top... I didn't use it though, so I dunno... If it ends up peeling and being a hassle, I can vouch for Krylon Fusions paint on it!! Thought I had some pics of mine on here that I could post, but I don't...
I haven't had any problems with the plasti dip coming off when I take the top off. I used a pretty think coat and it's pretty durable. I'm sure if I take a screw driver to it or something the it def will. I've never heard of the krylon stuff? Is it paint that ad hearse to plastic?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rynokid
I haven't had any problems with the plasti dip coming off when I take the top off. I used a pretty think coat and it's pretty durable. I'm sure if I take a screw driver to it or something the it def will. I've never heard of the krylon stuff? Is it paint that ad hearse to plastic?
Yeah, it's pretty awesome stuff... Sprays on super even and smooth. Mine literally looks like it came from the factory black. No matter what gets used, black is 10x better than that ugly white junk!! Can't believe they make it like that
Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ouroborus2012
Yeah, it's pretty awesome stuff... Sprays on super even and smooth. Mine literally looks like it came from the factory black. No matter what gets used, black is 10x better than that ugly white junk!! Can't believe they make it like that
Where did you get it at?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

You can get Krylon fusion just about anywhere that sells paint.....walmart, home depot, lowes, etc. It is a great product and covers very well too. It's the goto in the TJ world for faded flares and I'll be doing it on the JK one day too.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=rynokid;3819683]I was looking at the inside of the hard top and i was not too crazy about how it was white on the inside. So i plasti dipped it with a gunmetal gray. i did the front panels first to see if i would like it. i loved it so i did the rest this weekend. i took about 6 can to get a really good think coat all over it. i was wondering about how it will hod up in the vegas heat but they say its rated to like 315 degrees or something like that. so i don't think that there will be a problem. let me know what you guys think?

Looks great! I wouldn't really worry about the heat because I remember my friend plastic dipped his exhaust tips in his BMW M3 and didn't have any issues with heat.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like Karls said, just slide in to pretty much any place that sells spray paints and you can find the Krylon Fusions.... I used a satin matte black on mine, mainly because I wanted it to suck up light instead of reflecting it. It looks awesome.. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to buy an extra battery operated light to mount inside because the interior light doesn't cut the mustard once you paint it black. Totally worth it though!!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. I did Duplicolor bedliner on the inside of my hardtop before installing my Hot Heads. Love the look but took for ever to dry in the Houston humidity.

I also did some of the exterior plastic. It's been over 6 months and looks as old as the day I sprayed it.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip inside the hard top