Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rattling in the boot of the stick shift

Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sky

What does the transfer case lever look like
Its the 2wd/4h/4lo selector
Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 PM
sky
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo

Its the 2wd/4h/4lo selector
Omg i feel like a dipshit
Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sky

Omg i feel like a dipshit
Walk it off :p
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's been mentioned before in another thread that the transfer case shifter cable vibrates where it runs under the front console. If you lift up the center console enough you can see where it runs beneath and has very little clearance. If you cut a small hose you can slide it around the cable so it's between the cable and the metal frame. Seems to have worked for many people.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBarret
It's been mentioned before in another thread that the transfer case shifter cable vibrates where it runs under the front console. If you lift up the center console enough you can see where it runs beneath and has very little clearance. If you cut a small hose you can slide it around the cable so it's between the cable and the metal frame. Seems to have worked for many people.
Thank you...I now know what I'm going to be doing in the garage, shortly after getting home today!!!!

My Jeep started it first and then our Rubi started doing it too. Super annoying. The 3.6 has a really nice sound to it under load, and it's impossible to enjoy it with the shifter/console sounding like it's going to rattle itself to pieces.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just copied from my previous post on another thread but it might help sorted my noise out...I had a noise only whilst in fifth gear, and going over bumpy roads.... I lifted the first boot on the gear lever inside the jeep exposing a secondary rubber boot which had two fork like locater pins on the front and two locking clips on the back... Due to this secondary boot having come loose caused my noisy 5th gear rattle, I had to do this fix twice as it unclipped the first time round
Old 01-19-2014, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same transfer case lever rattle issue on my '14 JK Rubicon. I was really bugging me; it sounded like it was coming from the center console. I started tapping on things to see if I could hear it and when I tap on the transfer case lever it makes the identical noise. While driving when I hear it and grab ahold of the lever it will often stop. I know it's a Jeep and not a Cadillac but it is pretty irritating. Next oil change at the dealer I'll have them look at it. I may check on the cable sooner if I get a chance.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default Help

Originally Posted by Rogue26
I have this same rattle on my 13 JKU and if I hold the 4wd shifter handle hard to the left the rattle goes away. Haven't had a chance to contact the dealer to see if there is something else related to it.
Did you ever find a solution to this problem, I'm having the exact same issue.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

In my 2007, its the evap canister, sounds like a tin can with rocks in it, noise will travel up the drivetrain tunnel, making it sound like its something shifter related. I found it by having someone in the cab while I banged around underneath. There is something the evap canister that rattles, when I removed it, noise went away, gonna get a new one and replace it. Wish I could just remove the canister from the equation and bypass it, don't have to worry about smog testing in Alabama.

Quick Reply: Rattling in the boot of the stick shift