JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Rattling in the boot of the stick shift (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/rattling-boot-stick-shift-204306/)

Mjkrakow 11-11-2011 10:11 PM

Rattling in the boot of the stick shift

So does anyone else have any problems with a rattling noise in the center console?
It only seems to happen in the lower end of the gears (1, 2, 3).
From what i can tell, it is originating from just below the boot, but i cant see anything below that would be rattling.

any thoughts?

csb93 11-15-2011 11:02 AM

I have the same problem not sure what it is though...any one have any ideas??

Kaisoboy 11-15-2011 11:39 AM

It's actually from the shifter knob. I have the same thing except I only hear it in 3rd gear. I pulled off the shifter knob and there was no more rattle. As soon as I put the knob back on it rattled. Hence I decided to change the knob to the Scott Drakes.

Cheers

RMucho 11-27-2012 03:29 PM

I have a 2010 on on the past two road trips I have noticed a rattle in 6th gear around 2500 RPM's. I know it's not my shifter knob b/c I have changed this out two months ago. It's not from the knob, it's lower. Any ideas what it is and what was needed to fix it? Funny thing, I took the jeep to the dealership today as it's still under warranty and as you would know, I could not re-create the noise.

Any ideas?

a.stone 12-02-2012 11:35 PM

Same thing here and mine only has 500 miles on it. I'm ok if it's just a jeep thing... But will be watching this thread in case it's prelude to something more serious. To clarify its a very deep strong vibration that works its way from the trans on heavy acceleration. Appreciate it if anyone has any ideas. Also this is my first post so good to meet you all! Also my first jeep... And I've never loved an auto more!

RMucho 01-08-2013 06:20 PM

Update

I never could get it to re-create for the dealership but the other night on the way home, I heard it again in 6th gear. Articles on the net say it's nothing to worry about. At least now it's on record at the dealership so if something does happen, it's all good.

dxbjeep 01-13-2013 08:59 AM

100% the shifter knob, change it out for a sickspeed shifter knob set and you'll have solved your problem

Whiskey Bravo 01-13-2013 12:35 PM

I had a separate shifter problem previously. Dealer replaced throw out bearing, and i had this new rattle noise since. Dealer "can't hear it"...

Some other thread mentioned some kind of pin rubbing in the assembly.

Icepick11 01-14-2013 07:12 PM

I have a 2011 jk sport 6speed manual and it has the rattle noise in the lower three gears. My friend also has a 2013 same model and trans (with the 3.6) and it also makes the rattle noise in the lower three.

Rogue26 03-14-2013 10:30 AM

I have this same rattle on my 13 JKU and if I hold the 4wd shifter handle hard to the left the rattle goes away. Haven't had a chance to contact the dealer to see if there is something else related to it.