Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tereflex Quick Disconnect Install

Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hrmm, I have a weird issue.

If I use the stock axle mount bolts in the upper position, facing out, they rub against the tire lugs when stuffed & turning. If I turn the bolts around so the head faces outwards, it works fine while disco'd, but then I can't swing the sway bar back down because the threaded end of the bolt hits against the metal 'cowl' of the coil retainer (near the word 'which' in your 5th picture).

Any suggestions? Should I get shorter bolts?

Not only that, but both zerk nipples went missing on the passenger side somehow while disco'd and wheeling this weekend, sigh.

Last edited by snippy; 08-26-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe you need some wheel spacers? What tires/rims are you running?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by leros
Maybe you need some wheel spacers? What tires/rims are you running?
ProComp 8179's (4.75 BS) with 35x12.5" wheels, which aren't the problem. I had no rubbing issues when I just unbolted my links and zip tied them out of the way. It was only after I installed the TF disco links that the rubbing started.

Went out and bought some shorter (M12x60) bolts, will install them a bit later and see how it goes.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by snippy
... Went out and bought some shorter (M12x60) bolts, will install them a bit later and see how it goes.
That should do the trick. I mentioned in step 8 of the write-up that I might eventually shorten those bolts, and I eventually did. As I proposed there, I just took them off, threaded a nut on them, used a cut-off wheel to shorten them, and took off the nut to restore the threads. Worked like a charm.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snippy
Hrmm, I have a weird issue.

If I use the stock axle mount bolts in the upper position, facing out, they rub against the tire lugs when stuffed & turning. If I turn the bolts around so the head faces outwards, it works fine while disco'd, but then I can't swing the sway bar back down because the threaded end of the bolt hits against the metal 'cowl' of the coil retainer (near the word 'which' in your 5th picture).

Any suggestions? Should I get shorter bolts?

Not only that, but both zerk nipples went missing on the passenger side somehow while disco'd and wheeling this weekend, sigh.
The directions that come with the kit have the following statement on the bottom of the page:

"Factory offset wheels with larger tires may rub on the QD link. Different off-set wheels and spacers will be required."
Old 10-03-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

found out mine had been rubbing yesterday. I noticed the tread on my tires really ground up and started investigating. I cut the bolts down with a cut off wheel, and turned the brackets around to recess the upper pins back further. Only problem now is the control arms won't slide on to the upper pin when disco'd. I need the pins to be in between where they are now to work without worriying about tire damage. Any suggestions?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default screws that don't unscrew

I totaly bugered one up trying to remove it. My brother-in-law (he works on cars and trucks for a living) said no problem and unscrewed them without any damage (wich is good because they cost about 4$ a piece) It takes a light touch without any downward pressure- the center screw comes out-then the rest of the fastener. Joe
Old 10-11-2008, 04:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanster
... Only problem now is the control arms won't slide on to the upper pin when disco'd. I need the pins to be in between where they are now to work without worriying about tire damage. Any suggestions?
Could you provide a picture? Also, what offset are your Procomp rims?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

I might have to get some of these.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Default discos

I am going with the teraflex quick discos as well. The way they can be stowed out of the way while disconnected is a big plus in my book. The grease fittings are nice too.

Quick Reply: Tereflex Quick Disconnect Install