Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tereflex Quick Disconnect Install

Old 12-25-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also having a strange problem installing the quick disconnects.

I noticed that the two brackets that came in the box (where the discos clip in the "up" position) are exactly the same. Shouldn't they be different because they'll be on different sides of the vehicle? My driver's side bracket is backwards according to the instructions, but there is no way I can turn it around because it is exactly the same as the passenger side bracket. Am I making sense here?

Another stupid problem: When installing the new links, I kept the upper factory bolt and wrongly used one of the new larger nuts that came in the kit (I read the instructions wrong.) I was wondering why it was so hard to turn the nut, but eventually I worked it further down the bolt. Now the nut is stuck, but somehow still spins around the bolt without moving. I must have stripped the nut or the bolt. So now it won't come off, and I'm stuck with a loose upper bolt. Any suggestions to get the nut off?
Old 12-26-2009, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't actually got up to mounting the disconnect position retainers, but i can confirm that the two in my kit are identical to each other.

The background to my problem is that my factory link arms had the bolt stripped, which was noticed just before christmas when i was getting new rims and tires fitted. I have formed the view that my suspension lift vendor (who shall remain nameless until I confirm what litigation approach i will be taking with them) when fitting my suspension lift refitted the incorrect nut onto that bolt and in the process, stripped it. Having read through this read, it would have been very easy to make that mistake.

I have attached a picture of both of my original sway bar connect links. As you can see, the stripped one is almost completely clean of thread.

So, if you have fitted the wrong nut onto the factory bolt and turned it more than a few turns, they should both be considered useless and you need to get a replacement nut and bolt. Once the thread has been stripped even a little, both the nult and bolt should be considered NBG.

hi res versions of the pics at http://photobucket.com/MJOC

Originally Posted by Nigel
I am also having a strange problem installing the quick disconnects.

I noticed that the two brackets that came in the box (where the discos clip in the "up" position) are exactly the same. Shouldn't they be different because they'll be on different sides of the vehicle? My driver's side bracket is backwards according to the instructions, but there is no way I can turn it around because it is exactly the same as the passenger side bracket. Am I making sense here?

Another stupid problem: When installing the new links, I kept the upper factory bolt and wrongly used one of the new larger nuts that came in the kit (I read the instructions wrong.) I was wondering why it was so hard to turn the nut, but eventually I worked it further down the bolt. Now the nut is stuck, but somehow still spins around the bolt without moving. I must have stripped the nut or the bolt. So now it won't come off, and I'm stuck with a loose upper bolt. Any suggestions to get the nut off?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-12-26_00002.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	34525  
Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Very Cool!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Nice Write Up

I wish I had seen this two days ago! I just did the install using the photos from the Project-JK write up, not quite the same hardware anymore.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so maybe im jsut a bonehead but i ordered the TF Leveling Lit. I also ordered the disconnect pin kit to go with the TF sway bar links that would come in the kit. the pins are WAY! too big. do i need to order something else or possibly got the wrong part?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Roeanoke

ok so maybe im jsut a bonehead but i ordered the TF Leveling Lit. I also ordered the disconnect pin kit to go with the TF sway bar links that would come in the kit. the pins are WAY! too big. do i need to order something else or possibly got the wrong part?
Tap out the Metal bushing in the middle of the new links, that will fix the problem Leave the rear stock links where they are.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Yea.... after reading more i kindof guessed that and tried it.

Thanks for the reply tho

"i was a bonehead"
Old 06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on doing this this week!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HotFrosty
I plan on doing this this week!
You will like them!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jason0341
Tap out the Metal bushing in the middle of the new links, that will fix the problem Leave the rear stock links where they are.
I wish I remembered reading this when I installed mine.

I had to call Roeanoke to ask the same question he did.

Quick Reply: Tereflex Quick Disconnect Install