Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Traction Control Bypass?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control Bypass?

I found the link to bypass the stock lockers to work in 4 high which is sweet but what the point of locking up in 4 high to just have traction control stop you from sliding even when its "off"? Anyone know of a way to fully bypass this?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Austin Isaac
I found the link to bypass the stock lockers to work in 4 high which is sweet but what the point of locking up in 4 high to just have traction control stop you from sliding even when its "off"? Anyone know of a way to fully bypass this?
Its called the steering wheel dance, but that turns it off completely fulltime. I did it and just ignore the light on the dash. Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

probably the best write up for all the different levels of ESP.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...tem/index.html
Old 03-04-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

if i understand you right, are meaning how to turn the ESP fully off when in 4wheel drive? If so, you just hold down the ESP button for 8 seconds or so until you hear a chime. then on the dash, it will read "ESP off". i hope that helps and that is what you are looking for.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

not my write up.. but i did use it to install my switch.. its flawless..

I'm not sure why the thread disappeared, but it was removed. I will let the moderators determine if it should be here or not. If they see fit, they can edit this post.....

Okay here you go, this is the exact instructions that I copied from that post that has mysteriously been deleted. I don't remember the forum member that posted them, but this is HIS instructions. To clarify, what I found,..just make sure it is the Purple wire with the thin light blue stripe. Follow the directions as close as you can as outlined below. Sorry I don't have any pics. Good luck.....I got it on the first try....I will add that, I keep my jeep on factory settings for on road use, as I prefer to keep ABS activated, but only use this aftermarket custom feature for offroad use......

I am not encouraging or condoning anyone to do this, nor am I responsible for any issues that could arise after that resulted from doing this mod, but merely forwarding the original posted information on how to....Use at your own discretion on and off road hereafter... see below original post...

cheers,

Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Once complete, when you want to switch the ESP you just flick the switch off. When you flip the switch the three lights on the dash will turn on and stay on until you turn your Jeep off and start it again. The ESP and ABS will remain disabled until you turn the switch back on, turn off and restart the Jeep.

Tools/supplies needed: wire cutter, wire stripper, razor knife, soldering iron, solder, couple feet of wire, drill, toggle switch, electrical tape.

*note* I soldered all the joints but you could use crimp style connectors if thats your cup of tea.

-First figure out where you are going to mount your switch and cut two pieces of wire long enough to run from the spliced joints to the.
-Remove panel below steering wheel. You really only need to do this if you are going to put your switch in the same area as I did.
-Locate the bundle of wires on the right side of the foot-well. Mine was not tapped up – If yours is, you will need to remove the tape using a razor knife or similar
-Locate the purple wire with a light blue stripe. (you will see another purple sire with a dark blue stripe so make sure you get the light blue one) There are several wires that are close, but you should be able to pick it out easily. Once you are confident you have the correct wire – cut it!
-Now is a good time to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. If you have cut the correct wire there should be three lights that stay illuminated: esp/abs/the sliding vehicle
-Prepare the wire you just cut by striping and then tinning the ends with solder. Also, strip and tin the new lengths of wire you are going to run to the switch. Once you have them prepared, solder the wires together.
-Wrap the soldered joints with electrical tape.
-Drill a hole in the dash to mount the switch. Route the spliced wires through the dash and to the area you are mounting your switch. I mounted mine on the dash above the speaker. I’m not detailing how to get access to the back of this area as it’s easy to pull the vent out and pop of the side panel.
-Solder the wires to the toggle switch. The lead that is running towards the rear of the Jeep is attached to pin 1.
-Slide the toggle switch through the hole and put on the retaining nut.
-Put the Dash back together.
-I also wrapped the bundle of wires up with electrical tape because I wanted to keep my work tucked away so to speak"
Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jshell73
probably the best write up for all the different levels of ESP.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...tem/index.html
Great Article!!

When the all-new '07 Jeep Wrangler hit the streets, it had a lot of technology familiar to Jeep fans as well as a couple of new items. One of those new items is Electronic Stability Program (ESP) which was not only offered for the first time starting with the 2007 models, but was made standard. This doesn't give you just ESP, though. The program also includes Traction Control System (TCS), Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM), Brake Assist System (BAS) and Anti-lock Brake System (ABS). See the sidebar "What is ESP and why does my Jeep have it?" for information on what ESP and the related functions are if you haven't heard of them.

Judging from internet discussions, a lot of JK owners could use a bit more factual information about these systems and how to turn some of them off if they really don't like them for off-roading or if they have installed larger tires and modified the suspension. We talked to three engineers who worked on the Wrangler, and on these electronic control systems to help explain what really happens when you start pushing buttons, and some tips to make disabling the system a little more science and less black-box magic.

In our experience, ESP works pretty well, and it often saves your skin on super-slippery surfaces so well that you don't even realize that you would be sliding without it intervening. These engineers knew, however, that TCS would not be good in every situation, and ESP would have a hard time functioning properly once the suspension was lifted and larger tires were installed. All of these systems can work well with these changes, but only if hours of skilled calibration work is completed to take into account the raised center of gravity and the increased unsprung weight of larger tires. So a few provisions were included in the programming that allows you to de-activate the ESP system. There are partial de-activation, temporary off and disable settings. The sequence to disable ESP isn't something you'll do by accident, or without practice for that matter, so we put together a short how-to that takes you through the needed steps.

The advantage of working with the system rather than just pulling the BAS fuse is that you can keep the ABS function even if you turn off everything else. And using the system allows you to turn off certain parts of it when you want for the best combination of electronic and driver control.

There's "Off" And Then There's "Really Off"The first acknowledgement that not everyone and not every situation calls for ESP comes in the ability to tone down the system. There are three ESP modes in 2H and 4H which you can select - Full On, Full Off, and Partial On - and two modes in 4L which the vehicle selects automatically and a disable feature. Full On is the way the vehicle comes from the factory, and it is active in 2H and 4H. It addresses any wheel slippage and is usually a good safety system without being too intrusive.

Some situations call for a little bit wheel slip, however, when you're trying to accelerate, which is when Partial On is handy. This de-activates the throttle control part of TCS when the transfer case is in 2H or 4H, allowing the tires to spin without electronic control. This is especially handy in soft sand and deep snow. To engage this Partial On setting, push the ESP Off button in the center stack. The ESP light (this is the icon of a car with squiggly lines under it in the center of the instrument panel) will come on and a chime will sound. To turn the system back on, press the ESP Off button again. The system will also turn back on when the key is turned off and then on again.

Full Off mode can be selected when the transfer case is in 4H. This shuts off all ESP and TCS features for speeds below 40 mph. To activate this mode, have the transfer case in 4H, the vehicle stopped and the engine running. Press and hold the ESP Off switch for five seconds. You'll hear a chime and the ESP light on the instrument panel will come on. If you drive over 40 mph, the system reverts to Partial On until the vehicle slows down to 35 mph. You can turn ESP and TCS back on by pushing the ESP Off button again or by keying the vehicle off and then back on.

In 4L, ESP and TCS automatically turn to Full Off. The only time ESP would switch on is if you drive over 40 mph. Once the vehicle slows to 35 mph it switches back to Full Off again.

And finally, the mode that is the most hidden and the one that most of you are interested in - Disable. This mode is designed to shut off ESP and ERM completely to avoid false activations that can occur with larger tires and a modified suspension. The system does not automatically reset, but can be turned back on by repeating the steps.

Going through the steps to reach the Disable mode is a lot like doing the Hokey Pokey, so you'll need to follow the photo sequence for step-by-step directions. It often takes four, five, or six attempts to successfully Disable the system. One final note; the 2007 model year (and early 2008 models) didn't have the Disable mode programmed into the computer. A Technical Service Bulletin has been issued by Chrysler LLC, allowing a dealership to reflash the computer and enable the Disable feature. If you own an '07 and want to disable the ESP, your first step is visiting the dealership.

As with most new systems, there is a lot to digest in the new Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and bundled technology. This is especially true for ESP on the 2007 through 2009 Jeep Wrangler, as it has functions and modes offered only on the Wrangler. Here's a quick guide that you can clip out and toss in your glove box.

What Is ESP And Why Does My Jeep Have It?

Electronic Stability Program (ESP) is a chassis electrical system that monitors the direction your Jeep is going compared to what direction you want the vehicle to go, and then takes automatic actions to try to make the Jeep go the way you want. When a vehicle is sliding (oversteer or understeer), the system can decrease throttle and apply the brakes to one or more wheels to bring the vehicle back to the path that you are indicating with the steering wheel.

Oversteer is when the rear tires lose traction in a corner and the rear of the vehicle swings out. Understeer is when the front tires lose traction, not being able to turn the vehicle as quickly or as sharply as desired, and the front of the vehicle pushes forward instead of turning. The key components in the ESP system are a steering wheel sensor, yaw sensor, lateral acceleration sensor and automatic brake actuator that can apply pressure to the four brakes independently.

Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM) is an extension of the ESP programming that anticipates a potential roll over caused by oversteer. It can't help in the slow type of roll over that happens on a trail caused by excessive side angle.

Traction Control System (TCS) does exactly what you expect it would - it applies the brakes and can decrease throttle to slow the tires if they are spinning when you are trying to accelerate. There is a limited slip feature built into this programming that will apply some braking to one tire if it is slipping more than the others. This redistributes the torque to the tires that are not slipping as much. This limited slip feature is active even when the rest of TCS is turned off (ESP is switched to Partial Off or Full Off modes).

And why would you want this automatic stuff on your Jeep? You might not, but the technology saves a lot of people who get into situations they can't drive out of. And no matter how good of a driver you are, you don't have the ability to apply one brake at a time, which is the advantage this technology gives the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep TCS.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	134005  

Quick Reply: Traction Control Bypass?