Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights Installation Write-Up & Review

Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights Installation Write-Up & Review

While we don’t usually make it a habit to purposefully go wheeling at night, there are many times that getting off the trail before dark is inevitable. And, on those occasions, there’s nothing worse than trying to spot a Jeep with it’s headlights blazing in to your eyes. Of course, the driver of the Jeep need to have some kind of illumination to see where they are going so, what do you do? Install a set of rock lights!

Rock lights are essentially small lights that you can mount under your fenders and behind the grill so that they can effectively illuminate the ground immediately in front of your tires but without blinding your spotter. Right now, LED lights seem to be all the rage but, most are either cheap and unreliable or, are way too expensive for my taste. And, even the more expensive ones suffer from putting out way too little useable light. And, that’s why I decided to install a set of Walmart Platinum Burners.

At about $18 a pair, the Platinum Burners are cheap, easy to find just about anywhere, are super simple to install and work surprisingly well. More than any other rock light I have seen, these things put out a really nice spread of very usable clean light. Of course, if one goes bad, replacing it just requires you to located a nearby Walmart. I have been running these on Moby Dick (our white JK) for a little over two years now and have love them. Of course, the write-up below details the installation of a set I put on Nemo.

Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights
Installation Write-Up & Review
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea. They'd probably work pretty good to augment the pathetic OEM backup lights, too.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

I was looking at those just the other day. Thought about getting 3 sets for rock lights.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by nikbass
I was looking at those just the other day. Thought about getting 3 sets for rock lights.
if you do that, you need to make sure that each pair is attached to it's own switch or, you want them all to be on the same switch, you need to use a relay and the proper gauge wiring. we did that on moby dick and it works great - will have to do that to nemo sometime too
Old 05-23-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great, I've been hoping you'd post this!

I can't find the driving lights on walmarts website, I hope they have them in the store when I stop in!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by uselessllama
Looks great, I've been hoping you'd post this!

I can't find the driving lights on walmarts website, I hope they have them in the store when I stop in!
they typically have a bunch of these in stock in the automotive section of the store. i have not seen them online ever.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wol have you had this set up and done water crossings? Wondering how they held up. Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 05:36 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Finally something for the JK that won't break the bank. Uusually prices are sky high on things.
yeah, at $18 a pair, this is a super cheap mod
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by dave810
Wol have you had this set up and done water crossings? Wondering how they held up. Thanks
i have done deep water crossings and, while they did take on water, they kept on working just fine.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

I'd love to see the Walmart Automotive Dept. buyer's face when sales suddenly sky rocket on this item

Quick Reply: Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights Installation Write-Up & Review