Notices
Member Video Creations Please post your favorite JK related video link here. Members only please.

Kill switch to disable all stability control features

Old 01-06-2017, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switch to disable all stability control features

Been wanting to do this for a while.. Anyone on the fence about this mod DO IT THIS WEEKEND!

No need to buy a $500 programmer or do the silly steering wheel dance.
I did not take photos or videos of how to complete this mod but it's on the internet.

Remove the center console > find the 4 wires going to a small black box near the cup holders > two purple wires. (keep the purple wire with dark blue stripe SAFE) > Purple wire with LIGHT BLUE stripe cut this with enough room to splice> Run wires to where you would like to install the switch and the rest is self explanatory.

Turning on and off - How it operates start the vehicle, flip the switch and a ding will sound. Your dash will then light up like a Christmas tree. Only way to reverse it back is to flip the switch to allow a current to flow thru> turn vehicle off and back on and all safety features will be activated again.

Video:
https://youtu.be/U-88OdDvy3U
Old 01-06-2017, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Why would you do this ? I bet if you got into an accident your insurance wouldn't pay and it's probably illegal, but not sure. Probably get hung for that in Cali. ! lol
Old 01-06-2017, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dahreno
Why would you do this ? I bet if you got into an accident your insurance wouldn't pay and it's probably illegal, but not sure. Probably get hung for that in Cali. ! lol
This switch puts the jeep in the same mode as 4L. It's intended for mud, sand and snow for 2wh use. Not sure if your familiar with 07 and newer JK's in 2wh the computer will not allow tire spin. Leaving you getting stuck and buddies in older jeeps enjoying themselves giving you a hard time haha.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is done in my case and many others so I could wheel and not have the esc come on and stop me from climbing a hill. It should never be used while on the road as it kills the abs esc and traction control. When I bought my jeep brand new to couldn't go up hills in 4wd my old blazer with 200k could take in 2wd.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I get it, I thought you were talking about on road.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get the same result by pressing and holding the traction control button until the bell tolls, about 6 or 8 seconds.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by swizzle
You get the same result by pressing and holding the traction control button until the bell tolls, about 6 or 8 seconds.
I have heard this from several people on this forum, but I'm guessing it is not the case with all Jeeps, with mine (2013 Rubi manual transmission) you can hold the button until you are blue in the face, no chime, no luck, traction control stays on. Doesn't matter where you put the transfer case lever, doesn't matter in gear with the clutch in, in neutral clutch in or out. No dice, I finally had enough and put the switch in. Love it! I'm glad holding the button works for some, but it doesn't work on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Doesn't installing the switch kill the entire package, unlike any of the OEM modes?
All of the OEM modes still leave ABS, BAS, and the brake lock differential active.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Doesn't installing the switch kill the entire package, unlike any of the OEM modes?
All of the OEM modes still leave ABS, BAS, and the brake lock differential active.
I believe this is correct. Can't find the reference, but I believe so.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by swizzle
Swizzle, yes but there is still a lot of annoying issues with your process. You must be stopped in order to proceed with holding the traction control button.
Also, each time you shut off and start your jeep again you need to remember to hold the button. Maybe too many
Also, *not tested* but I think the computer will kick all safety features back into effect if you hit speeds above 35 mph... Not sure though.

As long as my switch is flipped I can run all weekend not worrying about hitting any buttons other then the transfer case

Quick Reply: Kill switch to disable all stability control features