Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Spring Break in Moab, trail suggestions

Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Break in Moab, trail suggestions

I'm taking my family (my wife and I and 2 teenage daughters) to Moab for spring break this year. It's gonna be our first major trip with our jeep. We'll be there March 30 through April 4th. I'm an off road newbie, so I plan on doing the easy and moderate trails. Fins and Things is rated as difficult in Charles Wells' guide but plan to do that one too. I hope the weather is going to cooperate, but from what I've read it should.
Any suggestions on which trails would be ones not to miss on a first time trip to Moab in the easy to moderate range?
I only have a 2inch leveling kit and 33.5 inch mud terrain tires, it's my daily driver.
Click image for larger version

Name:	angle shot.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	530683

Last edited by TurnerBJT; 02-13-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

You will be fine on fins n things. You could also look into top of the world or hey Joe canyon. Good luck and be careful.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With a 4 dr JK on 33s aired down to about 12 psi in Moab, Fins and Things would be considered easy.

Do Fins and Things to get a feel for how well your jeep can do. Then, Hells Revenge--bypassing the major obstacles--will be no big deal.

Poison Spyder and 7 Mile Rim would be great to do.

Kane Creek is fun. There is one tight spot for a 4 door JKU on 33s that is no problem if you have an experienced spotter with you.

The trail ratings take into consideration people driving a stock Toyota truck or less capable rig. A 4 dr JK in Moab has significantly greater capability than most 4x4 vehicles.

You don't want to go alone. So, find people with whom you can tag along. For example, if you hang out near the front of the trail for Fins and Things, invariably, someone will come along who is familiar with the trail and won't have any problem with you tagging along.

Many people meet at the City Market grocery store in the morning before heading out for a trail. You can get to visiting with them and ask if you can tag along.

Also, check out: Upcoming Trails | WeBeJeepin' Moab

That is where several of the locals organize trail runs. They usually don't mind if people tag along.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100% with plan man. Your gonna have so much fun hittin those trails for the first time! It's like nothing you've ever seen or will ever see anywhere else. That's what I did the first time - fins, hells revenge, and then pick your poison.

Congrats!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the great first hand info on the trails. I'll definitely hit Fins and Things first then to get comfortable, and then see what I can do from there. I will take your advice and try to hook up with someone to ride through the trails with.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my sister, her husband and their daughter to Muscleman Arch, you can walk across it. Muscleman Arch is off the Shafer trail and part of the White Rim trail. Very easy trail and very scenic. Go down through Canyonlands and down the switchbacks, take the side trip to the arch, then the rest of the way out and back to Moab.

Then last June I took my other sister and her daughter there. They enjoyed themselves. (The temp that day was 103!!!!!)

Shafer trail heading back to Moab...

All in all I would suggest Canyonlands first, because you can get right up to the cliff's edge and look down into it, then drive down into it via the switchbacks, Muscleman Arch and ancient petroglyphs on the drive back to Moab.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default nice pics xerofal

I will definitely drive shafer trail and take the spur to muscleman arch. Dang, I'm getting so excited!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would not do kanes creek...we did it with jk adventure last year and some jeeps had problems in spots with 35s....especially being alone.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster1976
I would not do kanes creek...we did it with jk adventure last year and some jeeps had problems in spots with 35s....especially being alone.
No one should do any trail alone.

Your group just didn't know the line. You are probably talking about this (the easy line is on the left edge, and a rig with 31" tires can do it without much effort):

Old 02-15-2014, 01:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman

No one should do any trail alone.

Your group just didn't know the line. You are probably talking about this (the easy line is on the left edge, and a rig with 31" tires can do it without much effort):
Well we can agree to disagree on doing trails alone. I would never have enjoyed many camping trips with my kids if I had to look for someone else to go with us. Its all about being safe and picking the right trails so you don't end up on " I shouldn't be alive" show.
Now about kanes creek. The part you showed was not a problem at all and our group knew the lines well. We had papa bear from RR4W as front gunner and Joe from Teraflex with us so our group was experienced. But as the op stated he is a newbie to offroading so you think he is going to pick the best line everytime.
To the op. Have fun and it will be the best off-road trip you have ever experienced. Moab is amazing. Also agree on Shafer as stated above. Be safe.

Quick Reply: Spring Break in Moab, trail suggestions