Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 Jk unlimited rubicon best ride quality mild lift.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 Jk unlimited rubicon best ride quality mild lift.

I'm the proud new owner of a 2014 unlimited Rubicon. I haven't owned a jeep since my 2000 model Tj that I parted ways with about 10 years ago. I always regretted selling it. So I decided I was ready for another wrangler and I originally wanted a Sahara but bought a Rubicon due to the Dana 44 front 4.10gears and e lockers. Got it with every option but leather and heated seats. Now for the fun. I was pleasantly surprised just how well this jeep rides and handles. I'm wanting to do a mild lift to take the factory rake out and give it a little better stance. I don't want to destroy the ride quality and I want to keep the factory tires till they wear out then I will put 33's on it. I know for a fact I will never put 35's on it. What will be the best lift to achieve a mild lift and keep its on road manners like they are. I will do a little light trail riding nothing heavy so off road performance not as much a factor as on road. I've looked at the budget boost kits , but I'm not scarred to spend more money if necessary as I didn't spend 40 grand on a jeep to buy a cheap lift and be unsatisfied. I will be adding a winch to the front at some point if that helps as well. Is a budget boost the way to go or new springs and shocks if so which will keep my stock ride. Thanks in advance for the good advice I know I will get.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have had a 1.5" teraflex performance coil kit, 2" AEV spacer kit and now a 1.5" Rock Krawler triple rate coils front and rear. All three will give you what you want. The AEV kit handled and rode exactly like stock and the other two much better. The AEV and RK coils are about the same price the 1.5" TF kit a bit more. The RK is incredible off and on road in the handling department. I run 34" tires and no issues. I thought I only wanted 34's but realize now that was foolish as 35's are the new 33's lol.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Your jeep is about the height I like. I will look into the RK 1.5" kit.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out the EVO plush coils.

I just had them put on and can't believe how great the ride is. I went from Teraflex coils which were hard as a rock.

It's been a while since I've ridden on stock coils, but I feel like it rides better than stock.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

I am plenty happy with the stock rubber. I would probably go to a 33" tire upon these wearing out. I'm thinking a spacer kit is what I might be after.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old Man Emu 4-door Stock Kit would meet your requirements. I've run it and rides great. One of the smoothest. Talking about the kit that comes with 2616/2617 springs and 60066/60067 shocks. Actually don't buy the kit, their drop track bar bracket is no good and you really do not need it for only a couple of inches. Just buy those part numbers and you are good to go.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I went with an AEV 2" spacer lift and 33" KM2's, for exactly the same reason. I wanted to keep the Rubi's ride and handling, and I didn't want to lose much power by going with too large a tire. My kit had extensions for the stock Rubi shocks, too. The ride actually improved slightly, and the handling remained good. It had a nice increase in break over angle and ground clearance, with no reduction in articulation. I went with a 255/80 17 tire, which is a narrow 33. I can turn full lock with no rubbing with stock wheels and no spacers.

When (if) the KM2's ever wear out, I might switch to 285 Duratracs on AEV Pintler wheels, but I'm very happy with the current set-up, on road, and off. Best of all, I didn't feel any power loss and didn't increase the unsprung weight buy much at all, if any, so I don't think it increased wear on suspension components.

Btw, jadmt, that Jeep looks sharp!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a teraflex leveling kit on mine before putting my MC lift on it. It totally takes the rake out, and gives you a little lift, and maintains factory ride.

My brother has one on his 14 rubicon running 35" km2’s. Looks great!!!

I just so happen to have a teraflex leveling kit for sale :-). Only used for 6 months - only used the spacers...links are still brand new
Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

How much are you asking for the tera spacer kit and do you have the stock shock extensions
Old 07-27-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dmwil
I went with an AEV 2" spacer lift and 33" KM2's, for exactly the same reason. I wanted to keep the Rubi's ride and handling, and I didn't want to lose much power by going with too large a tire. My kit had extensions for the stock Rubi shocks, too. The ride actually improved slightly, and the handling remained good. It had a nice increase in break over angle and ground clearance, with no reduction in articulation. I went with a 255/80 17 tire, which is a narrow 33. I can turn full lock with no rubbing with stock wheels and no spacers.

When (if) the KM2's ever wear out, I might switch to 285 Duratracs on AEV Pintler wheels, but I'm very happy with the current set-up, on road, and off. Best of all, I didn't feel any power loss and didn't increase the unsprung weight buy much at all, if any, so I don't think it increased wear on suspension components.

Btw, jadmt, that Jeep looks sharp!
You wouldn't have a picture of the jeep you could post by chance

Quick Reply: 14 Jk unlimited rubicon best ride quality mild lift.