Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 1/2 inch spacers or 2 1/2 coils

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 1/2 inch spacers or 2 1/2 coils

Ive always been told you get what you pay for but i need some advise. I only want to go to maybe a 35 inch tire but i dont want to lose to much driving or handling traits from stock. this is my daily driver and it a lift is gonna wander, shimmy or chew up tires i will probably leave it stock. Maybe im just asking for feed back. I even thought about a .75 front spacer kit alone.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mo15jkur
Ive always been told you get what you pay for but i need some advise. I only want to go to maybe a 35 inch tire but i dont want to lose to much driving or handling traits from stock. this is my daily driver and it a lift is gonna wander, shimmy or chew up tires i will probably leave it stock. Maybe im just asking for feed back. I even thought about a .75 front spacer kit alone.
I am looking at the same question. I'm torn between the Teraflex 2.5" budget boost kit and now Skyjacker is offering a 2" Softride spring kit with shocks...has anyone tried the Softride springs yet? Appreciate feedback on either kit.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lifting causes issues. The taller you go, the more pronounced those issues are. Adding components corrects those issues. Educate yourself on the problems, and at what heights people start wanting to correct those problems (this will vary due to personal opinion). Then figure out which components correct which issues, and look at each specific lift to see what is included.

As an example - Because you chose lift mfg A instead of lift mfg B isn't the cause of flighty steering/wandering. It happened because you lifted the suspension, the axles tilted, and the caster went down from 4.xx degrees to 3.xx degrees. This happens with any lift from any mfg, and gets worse as the height increases. To fix the issue, you need to raise the caster. To raise the caster, you need some form of caster correction. The options are cam bolts, drop brackets, longer/shorter fixed control arms, adjustable control arms, or put the money into cutting/turning or an aftermarket housing with caster correction. But again, it is not specifically because you chose A instead of B. It is simply because the caster went down. At 2.5", some people don't worry about caster correction. Others don't like the lower caster, and opt to do something about it. Will you care?

Forgot the part about coils vs spacers. A 2.5" spacer should give 2.5". The height given by a 2.5" coil can vary quite a bit, and depends on how each mfg designed their coils, which model of JK you have, how much extra weight you have added, etc, etc. Some people report 2" from their 2.5" coils, generally you should expect about 3", and some mfg's design their coils for jeeps that are fully loaded and fully armored. These can give 4" or more to unarmored, light vehicles. You need to research whichever coil lift you decide on to get an idea of what to expect. Just remember that the taller you go (actual height gained, not what number the mfg puts on the coil), the more components you will want to correct the associated problems.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-26-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mo15jkur
Not sure if this helps but... I contacted Teraflex and they recommended the leveling kit (spacers) over the performance leveling kit. I put them in and couldn't be happier. I have a '15 JKUR with tow package.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Mines also a 2015 jkur most everyone ive talked to will say they have no problems with anything i just know how my luck rolls. I really want a lift but not to find out i hate the way it drives. Talked to salesman at mfg And he told me at 2 1/2 inches i would have to either do spacers with stock wheels and tires or aftermarket wheels i dont understand that
Old 03-26-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Why are you adding a lift? So you can run taller/wider tires, right? To run taller/wider tires, you need to move those tires further out of the wheel wells to keep them from contacting the frame, the control arms, the skid, the ...

To move the tires out, you need to either add spacers/adapters to your current rims, or you need to buy new rims with less backspace/offset.

Stuck right to the top of this modified area is a thread called "My Thoughts On Lifts". It gives some good information, and might be worth a few minutes of your time.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-26-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have done spacers and coils trump spacers. Best deal is the Rock Krawler 2.5" stock mod with Rancho 5000X shocks. Handles very good and smooth as silk.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Well actually he told me even running my stock wheel tire combo with a 2 1/2inch coil spring lift would require spacers i also have read almost all of the sticky it is very informative.l told said salesman i would be running stock tires being as it only has 6500 miles by the way thanks for replying
Old 03-26-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Some lifts (teraflex I think has posted about this?) offer new swaybar links that could possibly interfere with the stock rims. The 'fix' was just to move the link to the inside of the bracket/swaybar instead of outside like the directions call for. But in general, you want to move them out simply because of the larger tires.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Im glad you said teraflex because that is mfg A. Ok that explains alot. I think 2 1/2 of lift with stock wheel/tire may look funny. So if i go with springs/spacers bump stop extensions longer shocks/shock extensions and rear track bar bracket is better than just springs.

Quick Reply: 2 1/2 inch spacers or 2 1/2 coils