Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" lift -- advice needed

Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" lift -- advice needed

Hello all,

I'm sure there's a million threads on installing lifts already, but please hear me out...

So here's the deal. I'm getting a great price on a used Mopar 2.5" kit along with wheel spacers (not worried about the second part).

I've done some exterior work on my '07 JKU but nothing underneath. I'm new in town and don't have a garage. I'm handy with tools, though, and would like to do the install myself.

Does anybody have any advice on what extra stuff I'll need, or if it's even possible as a one-man job, such as jack stands, etc.? I'm good with rolling around on the ground, but I need to be able to do this outside my apartment in a parking lot.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did mine with (2) 6 ton jack stands and a floor jack, with scraps of 2x4 to add height when needed. Of course the assorted hand tools and a torque wrench as well. Depending on how complete your kit is, set aside the whole weekend for a complete kit. I did my front on Saturday and rear on Sunday. A strong ratcheting strap will help with alignment. Oh and wheel chocks.

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-15-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which part took the longest? Do you have any advice for a first-timer? I was planning on working on it over the course of a weekend... did you do two full days? I might be able to get my wife to help out a bit if there's any light lifting or something a helper could do.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:42 AM
JK Junkie

It was a full day on the front, around 8 hours. The rear was closer to 6 hours. My wife only had to help me bleed the brakes. But a helper sure wouldn't hurt unless it's Barnie Fyfe. Mine was a complete kit, all 8 control arms, track bars, extended brake lines, coils, shocks, rear track bar bracket, bump stops, and end links.

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-15-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

go to harbor freight or check craigslist and get 4 6 ton jackstands and a 3 ton floor jack. I did 2 RK 2.5" lifts in a single day without air tools. Being you have an older one you might have some stubbern bolts so use some pb blaster the night before on all nuts and bolts. Fronts always take me a little longer but not much. AEV has good downloadable directions and installs will be similar on all lifts. Tera Flex has some good videos too.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Go up to JK Write-ups. In the threads stuck to the top is a Write-Up Index. Click it and scroll down to the Suspension section. (links are still broke, just scroll down...) Doesn't matter which ones you open or read through, all of them, regardless of mfg, will use the same basic steps.

Also in the Steering section is a Basic Do It Yourself Alignment writeup. It is good to read through even if you don't have any adjustable components.

If you are up for meeting some locals, you could also go down to the Staging Area and drop a post in the Four Corners section. Lots of jeep guys like getting together for install parties or just helping out. Many will have tools, and may even a garage to use. Good way to get to know a few fellow jeepers. Be sure to offer beer and pizza or whatever.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-15-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the kit you have is bolt on, it won't take long. A friend and I did his AEV 2.5" kit in about 5-6 hours. That's doing it right, torquing everything properly, etc... Do one side at a time if you're shadetreeing it in the drive way, DON"T try to drop the whole axle. Floor jack, the stock sissor jack for the axle, a few blocks of wood, basic tools and you should be strait. Do yourself a favor and pick up a set of ratcheting wrenches, metric. Make sure the kit you get has 10mm, 18mm, and 21mm. You'll also need 18 and 21mm sockets for your torque wrench. Some of the torque is over 100 pounds, so if you're a skinny little fella, invite one of your heavier set friends over for a beer around the time you need to torque stuff.

We have done it some much between our jeeps now we can swap springs on both sides in about 30-45 minutes, give or take for beer breaks.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some great advice in here.

I did mine myself and it was my first one. Took me a day and a half not rushing, checking everything three times, etc. Make sure you read the install directions a few times at least and poke your head under your Jeep before the install to familiarize yourself with parts that are being called out.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

And if you have the 3.8, be prepared to cut off the passenger side UCA rear bolt with a sawzall and have a replacement bolt available.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Oh and one of the things that seemed to take me forever was getting the flag nuts (you'll know what they are when you get to them) started on the fronts of the rear control arms. What I figured out on the last one I was doing is that you slide the nut up against the inside of the frame as far as you can and when you look through the bolt hole you will see that it is just short of where you need it. Tap it up further with a hammer until it aligns with the hole and it will stay in place by itself. That was a blessing to figure out.

Quick Reply: 2.5" lift -- advice needed