Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

33's on stock rims?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33's on stock rims?

I have the 4 door and am in need of some new tires so i thought it would be best to upgrade to 33's or even get a 2.5'' bb and go with 35's. My question is, can i put these bigger tires on the stock rims w/ no problems? someone told me it will mess something up with the computer in the jeep? idk thanks for ur help.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

33s will work perfectly well on stock wheels. If you do a lift, you're going to want to add Spidertrax wheel spacers to prevent swaybar link interference on the inside of the wheels, but take a look at my gallery and you'll see 33s work great. Good luck, post pics when you're thorugh.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

It will change the speed slightly so ur speedo will be off by a couple mph, also if you want 33"x12.5" you will need spacers or else you will rub.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DeJK21
I have the 4 door and am in need of some new tires so i thought it would be best to upgrade to 33's or even get a 2.5'' bb and go with 35's. My question is, can i put these bigger tires on the stock rims w/ no problems? someone told me it will mess something up with the computer in the jeep? idk thanks for ur help.
If by bigger, you only mean taller and not wider, it should present little problem. However, most taller tires are also wider and the extra width will create rubbing issues due to the backspacing offset of the stock wheels. The usual solution with wider tires and stock wheels is to get a set of wheel spacers that create a wider stance and move the stock wheels away from the vehicle 1-1/2" or so. This is the solution I chose along with a 4" lift to mount 37"high by 12.50"wide tires on stock Rubi 17" rims.

The added circumference of taller tires will throw your speedometer off and you will need to either have the dealer "flash" your on board computer to allow for the larger tires or use something like the AEV Procal to do it yourself.

-meljr

Last edited by meljr; 07-16-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: don't know my own tire size
Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are a lot of people that post on this forum that run 33 and even 35" tires on the stock wheels without any problems with the computer. However, the issues you will face are tires that are too wide for the 7.5" wheel width. Basically, this causes uneven tire wear when the tires are aired up to spec. You can alleviate this issue by airing down a little bit from the recommended psi. This might cause an issue with the TPM sensors, but those can be reset to allow for this change in psi. The other issue you might have with 33's or 35's is rubbing due to the amount of backspacing on the stock wheels. This can be taken care of with wheel spacers that push the wheels out farther from the suspension components.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm also looking into my tire and wheel options as I got my hands on Rubi Unlimited springs and I'm hoping for 1-2" lift. I understand the suspension rubbing with the 12.5" width tires needing spacers or alternate offset wheels. In addition, PA is a "no tread showing from under the flares" state for inspection. So what combos work best? Stock rims + spacers? Limit to tall/skinny tires like Buckshot Mudders? 15" wheels on alternate backspacing and a 33-34" tire? What offset? Any photos of working combos?

I'm especially interested in thoughts from the PA folk that have dealt with inspection?

JK is an X trim 2 door (soft top)

(used to run a YJ w/ 33x12.5's but it had Bushwacker flares to stay legal)
Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pahighlander
PA is a "no tread showing from under the flares" state for inspection. So what combos work best? Stock rims + spacers? Limit to tall/skinny tires like Buckshot Mudders? 15" wheels on alternate backspacing and a 33-34" tire? What offset? Any photos of working combos?
I can tell you this, 33x11.50 KM2s will not only fit well on the stock wheels, but will do so w/o the need for spacers even with something like a BB, but you could get into a sidewall interference problem in back at some point (e.g. when really wheelin' the thing off- road). I resisted spacers for a long while, preferring the "tucked under" appearance; you're going to be right on the verge of being flagged during inspection with spacers and 11.50s (12.50s and spacers is never going to allow you to pass).
Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I got to looking at my last post and decided it was less than easy to follow.

I think an illustration is in order. This should help.

33x11.50s on stock wheels w/o spacers:

33.11.50s on stock wheels with 1.5" Spidertrax spacers:

Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Omaha
I got to looking at my last post and decided it was less than easy to follow.

I think an illustration is in order. This should help.

The pictures are worth 1000 words!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default Duratrac 285/70r17

I recently put these on my 2011 unlimited sport. The only issue with the stock tim setup is that at full right turn I experience rubbing from the drivers front tire on the sway bar. Otherwise best investment yet. Actually only investment.

Quick Reply: 33's on stock rims?