Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35" tire on stock tire carrier?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" tire on stock tire carrier?

I have an aftermarket rear bumper capable of accommodating a 35 inch tire but I am wondering if the stock tire carrier is strong enough to handle the bigger tire.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might for a while. It also might not last long. Some have better luck then others. I wouldn't rely on it though...
Old 04-10-2015, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on your backspacing, one thing you can do to extend the life is to make sure the wheel doesn't wobble. Daystar sells aftermarket rubber bumpers to replace the stock ones that are longer and help hold the wheel steady.

Daystar KJ09144BK - Daystar Tailgate Bump Stops for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 04-10-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

If your driving is all on-road or mild off-road, you'll be fine. I had my 35" on my stock carrier for the past 8 months with no issues. But I was advised that if I had plans to off-road it and bounce it around with any enthusiasm, I would be wise to get a proper tire carrier, as the bumps would warp the stock carrier and/or the tailgate. As I am taking it to the trails in June to Northern Ontario, I just picked up the Teraflex HD tire carrier. Easy install, and cheaper than many of the aftermarket bumper mounts. Hope this helps!
Old 04-11-2015, 02:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with what everyone said. most of us have been in the same boat as you. when I got my new tire carrier and was taking of the stock one I was surprised how it could even hold up a 35' tire, its only made of pot metal and weighs about 3 pounds . and if it ever does break off I feel bad for the guy behind you on the highway . Teraflex does make a good carrier
Old 04-11-2015, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the my 35 on my stock carrier and noticed the latch on the door starting to pop when I would open and close. I had it on for about 2 months with a decent amount of offroad. I just replaced with a Rancho tire carrier and feel at ease.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Had my 35" toyo MT on my factory tire carrier for about 3 months, then it started to rattle and sag to the point where I had to lift up on the door to keep it from scraping my rear bumper. I'm running around with the spare in the back while I save up for the Teraflex. Better safe than sorry
Old 04-11-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a 35" Toyo on the stock mount for a year before I upgraded. But... my tailgate is slightly twisted now.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will last a while, I've been running 35 for about a year but I just got the Evo carrier because my tail gate is a little wrapped from the tire but nothing to bad, but lately I've noticed every time I close the tail gate it wiggles. It should be fine for some light off roading but last time I went out I almost ripped out my whole tail gate!
Old 04-12-2015, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

I ran mine for 6 months with no issues. I don't see how the carrier it's self would fail. The gate maybe. I bottomed out on my spare from a four foot drop and folded the gate. Never broke the carrier.

Quick Reply: 35" tire on stock tire carrier?