Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding front lca's to aev 4.5 suspension?

Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding front lca's to aev 4.5 suspension?

Has anyone who runs this suspension added the lower front control arms and had an alignment and seen better on road ride/handling?

My steering wheel is rocking back and forth in my hand (Very bad bumpsteer) and the Bump Steer/Ride is getting shittier as I get more miles. When new it was fine. I know on my 13 that had the same wheel/tire set up, after 5000 miles my Ball Joints were shot and (I now have 6000 miles on this rig) so Im sure I need new Ball Joints.

I will be doing Dynatrac Ball Joints and a new Tie Rod bar with stronger ends (Maybe Synergy) next month. I plan on slowly upgrading the suspension and wanted to do a Long Arm down the road, so I wanted to avoid doing the front LCAS, but if it helps I will do them now and then just sell the Arms down the road. As the bumpsteer gets worse it seems to be affecting the ride somehow. Any thoughts?

Last edited by VETTETHRET; 06-10-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

There's only so much caster you can add with that much lift and the stock axle.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
There's only so much caster you can add with that much lift and the stock axle.
I know, I kind of inherited this lift by default (Which is why Ill be upgrading), but I had this lift installed by the dealer before I even took possession, and it didn't drive like this then?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

I added Rock Krawler front lower control arms but with the drop brackets; the arms are too long for proper caster; even at their shortest length. . I took off the drop brackets and it rides better after lengthening the arms when it was aligned.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're the one running the large 38 x 15.5 tires right?

I don't think caster is your issue, running that massive tire on stock components is bad news and it sounds like your front end is finally worn out since you said your bump steer is getting worse and your front end seems loose.

I am pretty sure the AEV 4.5" kit is complete and deals with caster.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2015, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It drove fine. Now, as the components are wearing or the bolts are loosening up, the handling is getting worse. So instead of finding out which parts are bad and replacing them, the fix is to just throw adjustable arms on? And then replace those arms with long arms? hmm...
Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
It drove fine. Now, as the components are wearing or the bolts are loosening up, the handling is getting worse. So instead of finding out which parts are bad and replacing them, the fix is to just throw adjustable arms on? And then replace those arms with long arms? hmm...
Did you not read that I am replacing the ball joints and Tie Rod?
Old 06-10-2015, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Joe_B
You're the one running the large 38 x 15.5 tires right?

I don't think caster is your issue, running that massive tire on stock components is bad news and it sounds like your front end is finally worn out since you said your bump steer is getting worse and your front end seems loose.

I am pretty sure the AEV 4.5" kit is complete and deals with caster.

Good luck
Yep, those are my tires. After I replace the Ball Joints and Tie Rod I will see if that fixes the problem ( I am replacing those anyway). I was just curious if replacing the LCA's and a good alignment would be a good addition as well. I know with the AEV kit its very limited on adjustments.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
I added Rock Krawler front lower control arms but with the drop brackets; the arms are too long for proper caster; even at their shortest length. . I took off the drop brackets and it rides better after lengthening the arms when it was aligned.
Thanks Buck. I think I may just do the lower arms after the Ball Joints/Tie Rod to get the alignment dialed in. I guess it cant hurt with the wheel/tire combo Im running.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
Did you not read that I am replacing the ball joints and Tie Rod?
So the ball joints and the tie rod are bad, and they are the cause of the bumpsteer. Gotcha.

I did read it, and it sure didn't sound like you had actually checked anything. It sounds like you are just assuming. So you don't know what the cause of the bad handling is, and you are just wanting to throw money at it hoping you get it right. Right? What is the purpose of adding control arms? If the caster is already handled by the brackets, what are you hoping for from the arms? Maybe it's just me, but I think the better course would be to actually find the problem and fix it, rather than just slapping on new parts and hoping. But it's your money...

Quick Reply: Adding front lca's to aev 4.5 suspension?