Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on lift kits and towing

Old 09-30-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on lift kits and towing

I have a 2014 jk 2 door 6 speed that I'm looking to lift about 3" (I want to be able to run 35's no problem). My jeep is not my only DD but I do drive it on the highway quite often. I do usually use it to tow my boat though. My boat weighs about 1,600-1,800 pounds with a tongue weight of about 200-250 pounds. I don't do the rock crawling or dunes or anything like that, however I do use it in the mud. I'm looking for some advice/input/suggestions on lift kits that would fit what I'm looking for and allow me to still tow my boat with out any problems. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Lift kits mean nothing to towing except your steering is going to be light at that lift height. With 35"tires the gearing in your axles is going to be the issue. Running flat fenders and maybe a 3/4" coil spacer would be plenty for 35's with proper wheel back spacing. How did you determine you needed 3" of lift to run 35's?
Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Lift kits mean nothing to towing except your steering is going to be light at that lift height.
I would think as lift goes up, tow rating would go down due to a reduction in stability/handling. Is this not true?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I would think as lift goes up, tow rating would go down due to a reduction in stability/handling. Is this not true?
You are right adding height can reduce stability and handling but has nothing to do with tow rating, just comment sense. Motor, transmission, axle gearing, coil rates, tire rating, and braking capacity are the factors that make up the tow rating. A properly lifted jeep with proper gearing and oversized tires (with proper load rating) can tow better then a stock.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You are right adding height can reduce stability and handling but has nothing to do with tow rating, just comment sense. Motor, transmission, axle gearing, coil rates, tire rating, and braking capacity are the factors that make up the tow rating. A properly lifted jeep with proper gearing and oversized tires (with proper load rating) can tow better then a stock.
Yes, I realize motor, transmission, axle gearing, coil rates, tire rating, and braking capacity are some of factors that make up the tow rating for a specific vehicle. My gut feeling is, if it came from the factory with a higher suspension, it would have a lower factory tow rating.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Lift kits mean nothing to towing except your steering is going to be light at that lift height. With 35"tires the gearing in your axles is going to be the issue. Running flat fenders and maybe a 3/4" coil spacer would be plenty for 35's with proper wheel back spacing. How did you determine you needed 3" of lift to run 35's?
I didn't determine I needed 3" to run 35's. I said about 3" and I want to be able to run 35's without any problems. I definitely don't want to do spacers. I want a complete short arm kit. I've seen trucks and jeeps that have been lifted and when you put a load behind it, the back end squats more than without a lift. I'm just trying to avoid that. I wasn't sure if some lifts had a softer suspension than others. I know gears will be an issue but that's not what I'm asking.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a 2.5 teraflex coil lift and 35's 4.10 gears and a manual. I tow a 10ft John boat and get bogged down on big hills. The rear doesn't do the sag but I'm sure if it was something heavier you would notice. I don't mind the small boat and my gears because I don't drive very far but I wouldn't tow anything bigger with those gears and 35's. I still have clearance but I also put everything I need in the boat.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by kal4438
I didn't determine I needed 3" to run 35's. I said about 3" and I want to be able to run 35's without any problems. I definitely don't want to do spacers. I want a complete short arm kit. I've seen trucks and jeeps that have been lifted and when you put a load behind it, the back end squats more than without a lift. I'm just trying to avoid that. I wasn't sure if some lifts had a softer suspension than others. I know gears will be an issue but that's not what I'm asking.
Why didn't you ask about coil rates then, We can't read your mind. The coil rates for the JK run around 250 lbs +- With a tongue weight of 250 lbs it should not be an issue on the JK and should compress about 1/2" when towing. Any coil is going to compress when towing. The only way it is going to squat more then then a non lifted jeep is if the coil rates are less then factory. I would stay away from dual or triple rated coils and look at linear or progressive that will have a consistant rate. They should be fine for you for what you are doing as the dual and triple rate coils are make for max travel in the suspension and are typically longer then linear and progressive coils.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 3.5 in lift with a 3/4 spacer under the front running 37s and a firestone airbag kit in the rear springs. It solved all my issues for trailer tongue weight and road stability. I have 4:10 gears and a bush wackier flat fender kit as well. With a 200lb tongue weight and 70psi in the bags it sits level.

Last edited by David Manley; 10-04-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice on lift kits and towing