Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All lubed up like Im going to a Party

Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All lubed up like Im going to a Party

Made you look didn't I!

I took my 2013 JKU into the local dealership (not going to mention any names, but it is the only Jeep dealership in Brownwood!) for the transmission oil cooler tube recall. I dropped it off at 8:00 and got it back around noon. The repair was supposed to take two hours, but everything moves a little slower here.

When I picked up my jeep I noticed the service engine light was on...hmmm, it wasn't on when I dropped it off. I went back in and they reset it and said it was nothing. When I get home I pop the hood and act like I know what I am looking at. Here is what I found:
Click image for larger version

Name:	air box hose.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	547652
Hose on air box not re-attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fluid on pitman arm.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	547655Click image for larger version

Name:	Fluid on pitman arm 2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	547656
Fluid (I am assuming transmission oil) dripping from my undercarriage onto my drive.

Who else has had their JK in for this recall? Did you receive it back in this condition? Should I be as upset as I am?
I work in the Quality Industry and our company has developed a system that is based of the the Toyota Production System (TPS) One of the founding blocks is 5S. My jeep is not spotless, but I do attempt to follow the "shine" principle. I try to keep all excess fluids cleaned up. They attract dirt and cause premature wear on parts. Plus it helps me know if i have a new leak.

Okay off my lean manufactruing soapbox.

I was really dissappointed at the lack at caring/pride/workmanship/etc. that I received from the dealership. I really hope that I am the only one that experienced this issue. I am pretty sure that I won't be taking my jeep back for service to this dealership.

Update: as suspected no response from dealership. Next week I'll escalate to GM.

Last edited by Auxillaryman; 04-23-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-22-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would be pissed also.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine done a while back. The jeep came back cleaner than I left it for sure. They even apologized for not being able to get ALL THE BEACH SAND out of my carpet. Lol. What you are seeing is probably still a leak. I would NOT wait to call them and have it back to them, on their dime, as soon as possible.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

A couple years ago someone posted that their Jeep burned to the ground on the way home from having the transmission cooler lines replaced.

Anyone who has it done needs to check for leaks before leaving the dealership, or whatever shop did the install.

Here is something to look for.

If the retainer caps are not on all the way, the tube can pop out of the fitting, spewing transmission oil all over the place.
Look at both ends of both lines.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Junkie

Had mine done in Boulder, CO. Same issue with the fluid and a few hoses were NOT recon need. I called the dealer, notified them and filed a complaint as well as completed a thorough survey about the work. They also didn't replace the lost fluid from the change so it was about a quart low. No offense to anyone who works at a dealer as a mechanic, but I have absolutely zero confidence in the work any dealer provides. The only place I had exceptional service and done right every time, has been the Volvo dealer. I've owned fords, dodge, Volvo, land rover, jeep, Mitsubishi and Isuzu. Most were the same. Volvo was the only one who stood out in the bunch with quality work, clean work, and done properly the first time.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Collyn
Had mine done a while back. The jeep came back cleaner than I left it for sure. They even apologized for not being able to get ALL THE BEACH SAND out of my carpet. Lol. What you are seeing is probably still a leak. I would NOT wait to call them and have it back to them, on their dime, as soon as possible.
ypu can't say it is still a leak. There are lots of nooks and crannies for fluid to hide. And considering they replace the entire line, they disconnect and pull it through. All the fluid in the line, pours out as they extract it front the vehicle.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
A couple years ago someone posted that their Jeep burned to the ground on the way home from having the transmission cooler lines replaced.

Anyone who has it done needs to check for leaks before leaving the dealership, or whatever shop did the install.

Here is something to look for.

If the retainer caps are not on all the way, the tube can pop out of the fitting, spewing transmission oil all over the place.
Look at both ends of both lines.

Thanks for the advice. When it's light out tomorrow I will look at the connections.

I also wrote a pretty lengthy email to service manager expressing my disappointment. I am curious to see how they handle this. I don't expect them to do anything...but I am. I don't plan on going back to this dealer.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi

I would take it back and have them 'check' it. I would point out your concerns in a professional way and ask them to kindly clean up the excess fluid as you fear it may catch fire... see you get it cleaned with a non-emotional message concerning your safety rather than attacking them for their incompetence.

You catch more flies with honey!!

Jeep on!!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of yrs back, I had my F250 in for a tranny recall. Got it back and I had tranny fluid all over my driveway. Called dealer and they said let it sit a few days. Leak stopped.
Sometimes there is fluid just dripping from the change. Give it a few days. If it continues, go back.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no reason for the technician to leave the mess after changing the lines. Wether I'm wrenching on the jet I maintain or my Jeep I always clean up. How do you know if it's leaking if you leave the mess?

Quick Reply: All lubed up like Im going to a Party