Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes!

After having someone pull out in front of me while I was doing about 65 this weekend I have come to the conclusion that I should probably do something about my brakes. They aren't bad, I can stop just fine but there is room for improvement for sure. I don't want to spend big money on a big brake kit or anything like that, just simple pad and maybe rotor swap. What have yall used and what do you recommend?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People have been having luck with upgrading to the BR6 brakes. Basically the brakes that go on the export jeep, it replaces the calipers and rotors. The new rotors are 13" and the calipers are pretty much the same just different mounting. Not to bad in price.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by espi
People have been having luck with upgrading to the BR6 brakes. Basically the brakes that go on the export jeep, it replaces the calipers and rotors. The new rotors are 13" and the calipers are pretty much the same just different mounting. Not to bad in price.
There is also a larger master cylinder from that Jeep that you can get for around $80. Apparently it is the same one that is sold by Teraflex, but at half the price.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The factory BR6 rotors are 13.25". You need 17" rims or possibly get by with 16.5" rims, but it would be close.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

There is also a larger master cylinder from that Jeep that you can get for around $80. Apparently it is the same one that is sold by Teraflex, but at half the price.
I just ordered a master cylinder for mine but i couldn't find one under 100. Wonder if they've gone up with more people using them? Or maybe im just retarded ...
Old 08-20-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't have any first hand experience on it, but I have heard good things about making the upgrade to braided steel brake lines from the factory rubber lines.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tjkamp
I don't have any first hand experience on it, but I have heard good things about making the upgrade to braided steel brake lines from the factory rubber lines.
Just doing the brake lines alone wont be enough to tell the difference. If there is a difference at all,, it will be negligible. Better rotors, pads, and master is the easy answer.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by big dr
Just doing the brake lines alone wont be enough to tell the difference. If there is a difference at all,, it will be negligible. Better rotors, pads, and master is the easy answer.
Like I said, that was just based on rumors on here. Good to know, as I was planning on making the swap myself. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 AM
JK Jedi

I also believe you don't need to swap master cylinders. Unless the new calipers you chose chose have larger/more pistons.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

stainless lines are going on when ever I finally get the lift put on so that will take care of that part, any one have a recommendation on pads and rotors?

Quick Reply: Brakes!