Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built dana44 front vs prorock

Old 11-28-2016, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Built dana44 front vs prorock

I'm curious to hear opinions on this. I have front an rear rubi axles. Front is sleeved and strussed(artec) c gussets and trackbar bracket, prosteer ball joints with flipped drag link stock shafts.. I'm geared to 5:13's on 37's.

My front axle vs front pro rock?

Let the chit chat begin!

Northridge 4x4
Old 11-28-2016, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save your money and go with a 60
Old 11-28-2016, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

PR vs built-up factory housing, the Prorock wins.

It's not hard to find pictures of factory housings that have shattered at the passenger side CA mounts, and for those with sleeves/trusses, right at the end of the sleeve at the diff. Can't say I have seen a single person post about bending their pr housing, much less shattering it. (maybe on pirate or some koh site, just don't see them posted here...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-28-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to mention how much stronger the bracketry is.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
PR vs built-up factory housing, the Prorock wins. It's not hard to find pictures of factory housings that have shattered at the passenger side CA mounts, and for those with sleeves/trusses, right at the end of the sleeve at the diff. Can't say I have seen a single person post about bending their pr housing, much less shattering it. (maybe on pirate or some koh site, just don't see them posted here...)
Give it a rest with this bent/broken housing bullshit. The amount of bent/broken tubes out there compared to how many of these axles are in circulation is miniscule. The most common issue seen most with d30s are broken ujoints, shafts and chipped teeth on the r & p. Rubi 44s all those parts are beefier and breakages less common. Throw some c gussets on and regear. If you break that you wheel hard enough to warrant an aftermarket axle of some kind whether a 60!or 44. Too many people think they need the biggest and baddest axle to drive down a damn firetrail. Just because you broke yours doesn't mean it's going to happen to him
Old 11-28-2016, 08:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So you are allowed an opinion, but no one else is. Got it.

Read his post. Then re-read mine. I was NOT suggesting he run out and buy an aftermarket axle.

The way it read to me is that he is not asking : is it worth it to dump money into a factory housing? Or, is a built factory housing strong? Or, how many factory housings fail?

He has already built his factory housing, and he has already read the debates. So the way his post reads to me is - I built up my factory 44, I think it is stout. But, I feel like stirring the pot one more time.

My opinion, housing vs housing, a pr is stronger than a beefed up stock housing. Apparently you feel that a built factory housing is just as strong as a pr. Go you...
Old 11-29-2016, 03:33 AM
JK Freak

Prorock just wasn't an option for me. I got this housing cheap already geared sleeved and gussetted. I added the truss.

I'm just looking for opinions. I wheel..."carefully" but still tackle the hard stuff. Colorado, windrock, SMORR, Moab.

So this isn't an advice post more just a discussion of 1vs the other. Northridge 4x4
Old 11-29-2016, 03:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is dumb. Prorock is obviously stronger and you know that. Everyone knows that. No one argues that. The argument is it's still a 44, a $5k one. That's 60 money.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Waste of money to upgrade to a pro rock 44. I looking at that much $$$ just go with a 60 and get the added benefits everyone ignores when comparing a 44 to a 60.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
Give it a rest with this bent/broken housing bullshit. The amount of bent/broken tubes out there compared to how many of these axles are in circulation is miniscule. The most common issue seen most with d30s are broken ujoints, shafts and chipped teeth on the r & p. Rubi 44s all those parts are beefier and breakages less common. Throw some c gussets on and regear. If you break that you wheel hard enough to warrant an aftermarket axle of some kind whether a 60!or 44. Too many people think they need the biggest and baddest axle to drive down a damn firetrail. Just because you broke yours doesn't mean it's going to happen to him
Agree !!!!

Quick Reply: Built dana44 front vs prorock