Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise in front end (HELP)

Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise in front end (HELP)

So here's the deal, running 3.5" lift, 35's
Dana 30, gusseted, trussed and just put some synergy BJ's in about 2 months ago.
So the click only happens when I'm turning slowly either direction. And it's a consitent click. So I thought maybe ujoints? How do I check the u joints?
Could it be somthing with the BJ's?
It's comming from the driver side.
Already torqued all suspension components.
Also pulled the front DS to count that out. Any help would be great!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does the noise change with rpm?
If you suspect th we front axle shafts...put a paint mark on the end caps to see if the joints are shifting..if so they are bad..check all backing plates for lnterferance..if you changed the ball joint you had those off recently.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If lift is new, may be quick-disconnects. Mine move and click sone while turning
Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Patman
If lift is new, may be quick-disconnects. Mine move and click sone while turning
Don't have quick disco's but good thought!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

Checked the U-joints and they look fine.
Next thing is I'm gona pull the axle shafts and see if it's still clicking
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also check for a nail or a rock wedged between your tread. A buddy had a light click that sped up while driving and it was a nail.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JK yeti
Checked the U-joints and they look fine.
Next thing is I'm gona pull the axle shafts and see if it's still clicking
If you remove the axle shafts and try to drive it you will ruin your wheel bearing. You need to have at least the stub shaft installed to hold the wheel bearing together. In order to do this you need to take your shafts apart. When you do that you mind as well just replace the u-joints cause it doesn't make sense not to.

The noise is probably a dried up u-joint. Even if the caps aren't moving the needle bearings could be washed out, if you drive through water a lot, or they could be just dry.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
If you remove the axle shafts and try to drive it you will ruin your wheel bearing. You need to have at least the stub shaft installed to hold the wheel bearing together. In order to do this you need to take your shafts apart. When you do that you mind as well just replace the u-joints cause it doesn't make sense not to. The noise is probably a dried up u-joint. Even if the caps aren't moving the needle bearings could be washed out, if you drive through water a lot, or they could be just dry.
Really? I converted it from 2wd to 4wd a couple months ago and I actually used the 2wd axle Dana 30 hub on my new 4wd Dana 30. And those hubs never had axle shafts holding them in place for the over 60,000 miles.

I put it up on jack stands and tried to remake the sound but couldn't get it to happen so that got me thinking maybe it's a load/binding issue.
I'm going un torque and retorque all suspension bolts with the JK on the ground.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JK yeti

Really? I converted it from 2wd to 4wd a couple months ago and I actually used the 2wd axle Dana 30 hub on my new 4wd Dana 30. And those hubs never had axle shafts holding them in place for the over 60,000 miles.

I put it up on jack stands and tried to remake the sound but couldn't get it to happen so that got me thinking maybe it's a load/binding issue.
I'm going un torque and retorque all suspension bolts with the JK on the ground.
I apologize but you are correct. Just have so much running through our heads all the time that we forgot about the different bearing design used on the jk as opposed to the previous d30 bearings. My mistake!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
I apologize but you are correct. Just have so much running through our heads all the time that we forgot about the different bearing design used on the jk as opposed to the previous d30 bearings. My mistake!
Haha no problem! But it was a good thought!

Quick Reply: Clicking noise in front end (HELP)