Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake

Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

I'm thinking about getting an intake for my 4 dr JK, and I was wondering what one would be best. I do a lot of commuting on the highway and I want to save some gas. Also, is it necessary to get an a bigger exaust to compensate for the air coming in?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was going to get an intake I would probably go with an S&B intake. RIPP Mods (that makes the supercharger kits that are commonly discussed on here) has tested a few out and seen the best improvement from the S&B intakes. I personally haven't gotten an intake because I have a feeling that I am eventually going to end up with a supercharger, and so I would eventually have to get rid of any intake I buy. But if you don't ever foresee yourself getting a supercharger or needing to go through deep water (both of which I can't rule out of my future) I would buy an S&B.

By the way just ignore anyone who gives you grief over wanting an intake.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default .

Thanks for the info,
I don't see me getting a supercharger. Why would I get grief about getting an intake?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy a snorkel!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Volant CAI and really like it. It also works very well with the Viper Throttle body.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default .

Burnout...
Now I really sound like a newbie.
What does a throttle body do? Are they necessary with an intake?
I see lots of guys have body spacers, do they add horse power?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dananddanielle
Burnout...
Don't be afraid to ask questions....
The throttle body regulates the amount of air that goes into the engine. The end of your air intake tube (not the filter box end) is clamped to it. It has a plate inside that opens and closes depending on how far down you push the pedal.

They are not necessary to replace when buying a cold air intake. A larger throttle body will allow for more air into your engine. The better breathing an engine is the better chance you have of making more horsepower. So, along with a CAI, a larger throttle body, and an exhaust would all work together to help the engine breathe. But they are not all necessary to do all at once.

The effectiveness of throttle body spacers depends on who you talk to. some say total crap, other say its worth it.

Last edited by Ario56; 12-21-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking about getting an intake for my 4 dr JK, and I was wondering what one would be best. I do a lot of commuting on the highway and I want to save some gas. Also, is it necessary to get an a bigger exaust to compensate for the air coming in?
I have a AFE with a MBRP Cat back. Sounds fantastic!!!! i did see a slight increase in KM however not a ton. Although if I could stop flooring it off the stop lights to hear her wake up it would prolly be better.
Test is this week with a cruise up to Montreal for Xmas. Ill reply back to see if I can make it there without a fill up. LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 04:44 PM
JK Jedi

Burnout...
No....two entirely different things. Body spacer is part of a lift, throttle body spacer would be part of the intake.

I have a throttle body spacer (came with the Airaid package) but from what I read here on the forum, because of the design of the jk, they do no good. I couldn't tell ya, because I installed them both at the same time.

All I know is that with the Airaid CAI and a Superchips flashpaq, by 2dr auto really scoots around quite nicely.

Oh and the reason for negative postings about a CAI, is because it greatens the chance of you hydrocking the engine if you go through too much water. A snorkle would pretty much take care of this problem, and some feel that it is the only true CAI.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have read many threads on cold air intakes. It has these results
1. Save your money (negative) just do a KN or replacement
2. Get a snorkel , then someone says snorkels are for dorks.....
3. It sounds good
4. Then someone remarks how stupid you are for saying that it sounds good.

DUDE look it sounds different so if you like it buy it. Second it may increase gas mpg bit. ( i have a KN drop in and increased gas mileage by about 1 to 2 mpg) HORSEPOWER NOT!! Look you have a 3.8L mini van engine. Look I like it but do not be to bullish on horsepower with that engine.

Bottom Line
SOUND - if you like that sort of thing may get annoying on the highway.

MY 2 cents

ENJOY
STEP

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake