Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Arms Upgrade

Old 05-01-2016, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arms Upgrade

So here's the current situation...I have a 3.5 inch Rough Country lift on my JKU. The shop who put it on, also put on Rough Country front lower control arms.

I am wanting to upgrade and replace all 8. Can I order any or are they specific to lift height? I was looking at TeraFlex adjustable alpline flexarm kit and the Rock Krawler X factor mid arm package.

I guess my question is, will either of these set ups work for me?? or should I be looking at something else??
Old 05-01-2016, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baz0157
So here's the current situation...I have a 3.5 inch Rough Country lift on my JKU. The shop who put it on, also put on Rough Country front lower control arms. I am wanting to upgrade and replace all 8. Can I order any or are they specific to lift height? I was looking at TeraFlex adjustable alpline flexarm kit and the Rock Krawler X factor mid arm package. I guess my question is, will either of these set ups work for me?? or should I be looking at something else??
My jeep has ran the synergy, Currie, and metal cloak arms all at one time or another.

Even with what I have now the synergy were the easiest to adjust and if I had to do it all over I'd get them again. The alpine are very similar being as they adjust installed if I recall correctly.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RK arms are a pain in the ass to adjust and even a bigger pain to get the joints centered. They're what I run and I wouldn't recommend them for that reason.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
RK arms are a pain in the ass to adjust and even a bigger pain to get the joints centered. They're what I run and I wouldn't recommend them for that reason.
What he said ^^^^^^

I have a set of front lower RK arms, and after pissing with them for hours... off and on, off and on... I would never buy them again. Yea, they are beefy looking, massive, solid and likely would survive an IED blast. But the Synergy system that can adjust in place sounds like the way to do it. I'll be eventually going Synergy for all 8.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by larry0071
What he said ^^^^^^

I have a set of front lower RK arms, and after pissing with them for hours... off and on, off and on... I would never buy them again. Yea, they are beefy looking, massive, solid and likely would survive an IED blast. But the Synergy system that can adjust in place sounds like the way to do it. I'll be eventually going Synergy for all 8.
Synergy it'll be then!! Thanks for the info guys...and Chuck-The-Ripper you still up for offering some help?? Figure I should have someone who knows what they're doing while I'm learning how to do my own installs....
Old 05-02-2016, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Why do you feel the need for all 8 ? Are the RC's giving you issues?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Truthfully, I don't know a whole lot about them. I'm in the process of learning and wanting to be able to do my own work. Along with getting the best out of my ride. Changing all 8 is just an upgrade I wanted to do. If all 8 being charged isn't something I need then I won't.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by baz0157
Truthfully, I don't know a whole lot about them. I'm in the process of learning and wanting to be able to do my own work. Along with getting the best out of my ride. Changing all 8 is just an upgrade I wanted to do. If all 8 being charged isn't something I need then I won't.
A JKU only really benefits with front lowers. Rear uppers if running a aftermarket DS.
Both sets of rears allows the rear axle to be moved back.
Front uppers dont do much (with lowers) with a full set.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You can keep the RC fronts if you want and just get the balance of the arms. No reason you have to re-buy the front lowers but you may find all 8 in a package deal. I would second the synergy because of the double adjusters and off road evolution has arms with double adjusters and Johnny joints. A full set of arms will allow you to dial, caster, rear pinion angle, and allow you to regain the loss of wheel base that you lost with the lift. Just doing front lowers and rear uppers only allow you to rotate the axles. Take a good look at the joints that are one the arms as they are really what differentiate the arms other then offering the double adjusters. The teraflex joint has a poor track record, the johnny joint is race proven over the years, and synergy has a new joint that is similar to the metal cloak joint that offers more flex then stock and a more comfortable ride in terms of vibration dampening.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You can keep the RC fronts if you want and just get the balance of the arms. No reason you have to re-buy the front lowers but you may find all 8 in a package deal. I would second the synergy because of the double adjusters and off road evolution has arms with double adjusters and Johnny joints. A full set of arms will allow you to dial, caster, rear pinion angle, and allow you to regain the loss of wheel base that you lost with the lift. Just doing front lowers and rear uppers only allow you to rotate the axles. Take a good look at the joints that are one the arms as they are really what differentiate the arms other then offering the double adjusters. The teraflex joint has a poor track record, the johnny joint is race proven over the years, and synergy has a new joint that is similar to the metal cloak joint that offers more flex then stock and a more comfortable ride in terms of vibration dampening.
The TF Alpine arms use Clevites, are not double adjustable but have a clamp instead of jam nuts.

Quick Reply: Control Arms Upgrade