Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death wobble question

Old 04-16-2015, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung
I have 30K on the Jeep the kit has 10k on it but i just started having the issues. and ball joint and tie rods dont have any play or ware to them.
The stock rod ends and BJ's can fail well before 30k. Glad to know yours are in tip-top shape and aren't a contributing factor to your death wobble.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was chasing my tail forever. I couldn't find anything loose with the front end by having someone shift the steering wheel back and forth. Not until I squeezed the tie rod ends with the largest pair of channel locks I could find. My DL end and one tie rod end had a ton of play that just wasn't obvious with steering back and forth. Make sure to check to use channel locks when assessing!

Not my vid but you get the idea

http://youtu.be/pBhLBGT87qc

Last edited by sea bass; 04-16-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Please find the issue and fix the problem before you slap on larger tires. You're not going to have a good time otherwise. Planman's right up is excellent. If everything is torqued to spec and bushings are good, it's most likely your rod ends or ball joints. Ball joints are easy to check, the rod ends can be a bit harder. I drove my jeep until the stock ends were about to fall apart. I was well aware of the issue and replaced the drag link and tie rod just before the death wobble would of started. The steering was sloppy and i could feel the bumps in the road get progressively worse each day. Whatever you do, don't go dual steering stabilizers lol

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Its Heretical
Jeep logic.. I have death wobble.. Guess I need bigger tires! Haha I'm not hating I reason the same way :p
Right, lol

Originally Posted by Joe_B
Please find the issue and fix the problem before you slap on larger tires. You're not going to have a good time otherwise. Planman's right up is excellent. If everything is torqued to spec and bushings are good, it's most likely your rod ends or ball joints. Ball joints are easy to check, the rod ends can be a bit harder. I drove my jeep until the stock ends were about to fall apart. I was well aware of the issue and replaced the drag link and tie rod just before the death wobble would of started. The steering was sloppy and i could feel the bumps in the road get progressively worse each day. Whatever you do, don't go dual steering stabilizers lol

Good luck!
Yeah its going to hurt see the tires on the side lines.

I did watch the video and did find what i think is play in the drag link. The track bar was solid seemed to have some flexing due to the bushings but that was all ( i will still weld washers in place for good measure anyway )

I did feel what i think is some slight clunking on the drive shaft end nearest the pitman arm, but really this being my first Jeep i really dont know what is considered "bad" or "worn" so i will get a second opinion.

I dont have channel locks to squezee down in the the tie rods or the ends of the drag link. but i did notice this about the drag link end that attaches to the knuckle.

Last edited by achtung; 04-17-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

To those that I have the AEV suspension installed in their Jeep. I noticed this on the drag link side that's connected to the knuckle. It almost seems to me that it needs to go in more that there's not enough thread sticking out the end given it a very tight fit.
I can see evidence of it moving side to side but it wasn't moving up and down like on the video.

It is drilled up properly to the 7/8 diameter required I do have the sleeve in there maybe I should undo it and tap down to see if it will go into the knuckle more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2618009971.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	606779  
Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Here is another pic slightly different angle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4185867616.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	606780  

Last edited by achtung; 04-17-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by achtung
Here is another pic slightly different angle.
that doesn't seem all the way in. My memory is failing and it's been racing and lightning, so won't him out and look at mine, but I think it is tapered and needs to go in further.

How did you tighten yours? I think you need a 7mm hex/Allen typed tool to hold the top while you turn the nut.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Hard to tell but it doesn't look seated properly and is it bent as well?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Here is a picture of my drag link flip (AEV). Mine is seated correctly as the knuckle was removed and drilled at a machine shop so I know the hole is exactly 7/8" as the instructions called for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3047938773.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	607092

Quick Reply: Death wobble question