Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic

Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKbender
Dynatrac... Would this be an issue with an ARB as well? If not, why not?
If locked in high range (2wd or 4wd) , I suspect that the computer would cause the same issue.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rule18
Really? I had one done a few months ago and watched the whole thing in the shop. Why do you believe it can't be done?
There are no adjustments to make on the rear axle....even if you have adjustable rear control arms the only thing your are going to do is adjust pinion angle....but they still does nothing as far as alignment goes.

If the shop claims they did a 4 wheeln alignment then you got taken.

Now they put those alignment paddle things on all for wheels regardless of the alignment performed.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
I did some checking and found that the new 12 auto trans computer is a bit more complex than previous models. While driving it monitors yaw, pitch, acceleration, vehicle speed, wheel speed etc. A Detroit Locker is always locked until traction on a corner allows the outside tire to unlock. When equal axle speed is achieved after the corner, the unit once again locks. It is suspected that the lock/unlock motion of the locker is tripping the computer. The ProCal is not able to compensate.
Jeep is really making it more and more difficult for us to mod these things.....not that I would want anything else other than an ARB or Rubicon locker but still.....
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by onsafari
There are no adjustments to make on the rear axle....even if you have adjustable rear control arms the only thing your are going to do is adjust pinion angle....but they still does nothing as far as alignment goes.

If the shop claims they did a 4 wheeln alignment then you got taken.

Now they put those alignment paddle things on all for wheels regardless of the alignment performed.
Sorry but I must disagree. Thrust angle is a big factor in rear axle alignment. Thrust angle is the relationship of your axle to your frame. If the axle isn't squared with your frame it causes 'crabbing'. We've all seen those cars that look like they're going down the street sideways. It's frequently caused by wrecks but it can also be caused by miss-adjusted control arms.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Well I'm not going to take a chance, grizzly going back and zips going in.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default same issue it sounds like with mine

I have a 2012, in Ft Worth TX, been 3 and a half months without my jeep. Installed Detroit in a D-60 rear!! I have had so many things changed in attempt to fix, AEV, Northridge, Sam Alliance dodge and Baertrax have all been AWESOME in trying to help me but nobody has been able to nail it down. Josh at Baertrax thought after a process of elimination that maybe its the Detroit. We are going to swap out and see, cross my fingers!!!!

What it would do was drive fine but then, it seemed to me, on hard left turns it would "lock up" in limp mode, starting off in 2cd gear only and would hit 3rd but nothing more, would not let you manually shift either. Would have to shut off completely to "reset". Like I said been dealing with this for almost 4 months now, have made 3 payments and put about 30 miles on it.

My new concern is another thread I read on here about the exact same issues, and its happening without having a detroit installed and no regearing so now I'm worried that Im installing a new ARB and that its not the issue????

HELP - Anyone please---------Steve
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by a4x4guy
I have a 2012, in Ft Worth TX, been 3 and a half months without my jeep. Installed Detroit in a D-60 rear!! I have had so many things changed in attempt to fix, AEV, Northridge, Sam Alliance dodge and Baertrax have all been AWESOME in trying to help me but nobody has been able to nail it down. Josh at Baertrax thought after a process of elimination that maybe its the Detroit. We are going to swap out and see, cross my fingers!!!!

What it would do was drive fine but then, it seemed to me, on hard left turns it would "lock up" in limp mode, starting off in 2cd gear only and would hit 3rd but nothing more, would not let you manually shift either. Would have to shut off completely to "reset". Like I said been dealing with this for almost 4 months now, have made 3 payments and put about 30 miles on it.

My new concern is another thread I read on here about the exact same issues, and its happening without having a detroit installed and no regearing so now I'm worried that Im installing a new ARB and that its not the issue????

Until today, we at Dynatrac had not heard of any problems with Detroits and new Auto trans JKs. The ONLY time previously we have heard of issues similar to yours is on 2012 JKs with a gear swap and no ProCal. Very early after 2012s started shipping we heard about issues with gear swaps. AEV went to work on it immediately. This issue became common knowledge very quickly and after AEV revised their ProCal no other issues were reported (to the best of our knowledge).

a4x4guy- Please send me a link to where you have seen the issue with limp mode without a gear swap or Detroit.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

After doing a lot of reading on this after getting worried myself it looks to me like two problems that both cause the same outcome.( I am no expert just I'd some reading ) First issue is tone ring misalignment causing the problem the second is the locker issue that I guess is popping up now. Dynatrac explained how the new computer works and makes sense to me why an auto locker might cause an issue.

For me after reading some issues and taking the Internet with a grain of salt I decided that it was not worth potentially having an issue and having to pull new lockers and pay for installs twice. I'm paying to ship back my grizzly lockers ( Dave at northridge is allowing me to return them) and have the yukon zips installed at an additional $1k :(

For what it's worth I have not found any threads from anyone who has a 12or13 with front and rear auto lockers with an auto trans that was positive, again on the flip side I have only found 3 threads with complaints.

The reason I asked about alignments earlier is because I have heard that with it off it can make the auto lockers act up and I figured that could cause the new computer to have a fit.

Steve

Last edited by swaite3; 01-11-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

I'm so sure that locker is your problem I'd put money on it. The good news is you now know how to fix it. I posted elsewhere in this forum about my vehicle going into limp mode just as you described it (except mine just held 2nd gear). I'm just suprised I was the first to really post on this issue and again dont want others to endure the same problems I went through to figure it out. I'm happy that some of the vendors have responded to my thread I hope more become aware of this problem soon. I spoke to AEV a couple months back and he ask that I call him back regarding the issue. Perhaps there is a program they can come up with for an easy solution as they did with gear ratio program on 2012 auto's but I'm just so tired of dealing with it that I installed the truetrac. Hopefully I'm done with service issues for a while. The original plan was locker rear trutrac front. I think I'll be content with truetracs front and rear for now. Either go with an lsd like a truetrac or a selectable locker and you should be fine. Of course if you went to Dana 60 I would think the selectable, like an ARB, would be a good choice for you. I fully believe the problem stem from the auto locker constantly engaging and disangaging from side to side that was throwing the sensors off (i could put it to limp mode quick doing tight turn in a parking lot).

Last edited by fino; 01-11-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 PM
JK Newbie

On the bright side, I get to test out the f/r truetrac combo on the exact same trails as the locker/trutrac combo I had in the past. Excited to see how well this set up runs. I believe the truetrac lsd front and rear working with the factory bld will hold its own. Running some steep rutted hills at Butcher Jones OHV near Phoenix AZ in the morning.

Last edited by fino; 01-11-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic