Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic

Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a4x4guy

I am swapping out the detriot with an ARB and was going to post you, Northridge and AEV as to what happens as you all have helped me out so far tremendously so far trying to get my rig up and running
Please update this thread as well. With the experience I have had with it and research I have done I truly believe this is your fix.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
I only want to do the E locker in front, btw. I have the oem LSD in the rear, which is fine for me.
As has been earlier posted, a locker up front in a 30 can cause issues but they are strength related and should have no relevance with the computer system.

In 2wd and unlocked, a selectable acts just like an open diff. Your computer system shouldn't have problems unless you lock the front in 2wd. Even then, I'm not sure the computer would react. The Eaton ELocker is a great choice if you're considering a selectable for a 30.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll only use this locker in mud about once every 6 weeks, and on light rocks once or twice a year in Missouri/Indiana/Tennessee Jamborees. So I won't be stressing these much. I'm not hard core, but want to ensure I have the locker when/if needed. I'll post when I get it in, which won't likely be until this spring. I will continue to monitor this post. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onsafari
There are no adjustments to make on the rear axle....even if you have adjustable rear control arms the only thing your are going to do is adjust pinion angle....but they still does nothing as far as alignment goes.

If the shop claims they did a 4 wheeln alignment then you got taken.

Now they put those alignment paddle things on all for wheels regardless of the alignment performed.
According to the mechanic, you can make small adjustments to the camber and toe on the rear. It's the caster that you can't adjust on the rear.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
As has been earlier posted, a locker up front in a 30 can cause issues but they are strength related and should have no relevance with the computer system.

In 2wd and unlocked, a selectable acts just like an open diff. Your computer system shouldn't have problems unless you lock the front in 2wd. Even then, I'm not sure the computer would react. The Eaton ELocker is a great choice if you're considering a selectable for a 30.
Are the Eaton E-lockers the units currently being used for the 2012+ Rubicon models?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rule18
According to the mechanic, you can make small adjustments to the camber and toe on the rear. It's the caster that you can't adjust on the rear.

????? How could you adjust toe and camber on a rear solid axle? About the only thing you can adjust is the caster (if you have adjustable control arms), and what Dynatrac was talking about (the "crab walk" adjustment).
Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Soooooo, I would guess that doing the locker mod in a 12'-13' JK with an auto trans would cause issues too when using in 2 or 4 hi? I have no issues with the locker mod in mine, although it is a 6 speed manual. I can use the rear locker in 2 wheel with no issues.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fino
Please update this thread as well. With the experience I have had with it and research I have done I truly believe this is your fix.

Even with an ARB, I would have to guess that when using it in 2 wheel drive or 4 hi there will still be issues (with an auto anyway).
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by olyelr
????? How could you adjust toe and camber on a rear solid axle? About the only thing you can adjust is the caster (if you have adjustable control arms), and what Dynatrac was talking about (the "crab walk" adjustment).
He was talking about thrust angle. It is the angle of parallel when compared to the front angle. So basically its an adjustment comparing wheelbase measurements on the left and right side of the vehicle. If the measurements are different it can cause the vehicle to "crab walk" while going down the road.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigSteve
He was talking about thrust angle. It is the angle of parallel when compared to the front angle. So basically its an adjustment comparing wheelbase measurements on the left and right side of the vehicle. If the measurements are different it can cause the vehicle to "crab walk" while going down the road.
I completely understand what Dynatrac was talking about. What I didnt understand is how it is even possible to adjust toe and camber on a rear solid axle.

And technically, the wheelbase length could be the same on each side but still have one hell of a crab walk (both axles could be on an agle to the frame and still have the same wheelbase).

Quick Reply: Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic