Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DuraTrac tire pressure

Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DuraTrac tire pressure

My TPMS light went off the other day so I stopped by the store I bought them at and the shop guy filled them to 45 psi. It seems a bit high to me. I'm running 265/70R/17. What are you guys running yours at?
Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what yr is your jeep?

I believe 37psi is what factory sets the newer TPMS at.

I run my tires around 30psi but I have my TPMS turned down with my superchips
Old 10-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The best way to know what PSI you should run is to perform a chalk test on them.

Basically use sidewalk chalk and make a 6 inch wide mark on the top of the tire at current pressure and then drive about 300 feet in a straight line. Inspect the chalk make and see where the wear is. Reduce pressure until the chalk wears evenly. Also as a side note make the sidewall of the tire so you know where the chalk on the tread is.

R/
Will
Old 10-27-2016, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvas
The best way to know what PSI you should run is to perform a chalk test on them.

Basically use sidewalk chalk and make a 6 inch wide mark on the top of the tire at current pressure and then drive about 300 feet in a straight line. Inspect the chalk make and see where the wear is. Reduce pressure until the chalk wears evenly. Also as a side note make the sidewall of the tire so you know where the chalk on the tread is.

R/
Will
Srry to bug in but Thx! I was wondering of a good way to check my new tires to see if they're inflated right. I just got BFG TA's installed and the shop said that 37 psi is way too low and they recommended 45 psi. These are stock Rubicon size mind ya. I got the wheel/tire warranty from Jeep and I didn't want to void that buy over inflating. Great tip..THX again!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2qik2see
Srry to bug in but Thx! I was wondering of a good way to check my new tires to see if they're inflated right. I just got BFG TA's installed and the shop said that 37 psi is way too low and they recommended 45 psi. These are stock Rubicon size mind ya. I got the wheel/tire warranty from Jeep and I didn't want to void that buy over inflating. Great tip..THX again!
Not sure how running the right tire pressure would the warranty. Pretty much all tires companies have a road hazard rranty which covers you for anything that could puncture the tire or cause failure.

Running your tires at the optimal pressure will extend the life of your tires. The BFG AT's that come stock on the Rubicon will wear uneven if the tire pressure is too high causing cupping and a lot of road noise. The reason they tire place said you have to run your tires at 37psi is due to government regulations aka TPMS. I have turned my TPMS light off because in my Trail Grapplers I run 29psi on the front and 28psi in the rear. Wear is perfect and extends the life of the tires.

A chalk test will help you find the optimal tire pressure to run.

R/
Will
Old 10-28-2016, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The chalk test is a great starting point but imo you need to add a couple PSI. Your tire will act differently at 2mph(chalk test) than at 65mph. the rotating mass will cause your tire sidewall to become taller and so forth... So unless you plan on driving at 2mph forever add a couple psi to your chalk test results. It's not set in stone so you will have to play with it.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also did the chalk test and now have the Duratracs on my daughters JK are set around 31 psi. Will be running the same on my JK when I spring for new treads.

Quick Reply: DuraTrac tire pressure