Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fox shock with reservoir

Old 09-01-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fox shock with reservoir

Im looking at getting new shocks for my jku. Im looking at fox shocks and I was wondering the benifits of shocks with the reservoir vs shocks without?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your doing high speed driving offroad or offroad racing then there is really little to no benefit other than they look cool.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Unless your doing high speed driving offroad or offroad racing then there is really little to no benefit other than they look cool.
yep! What Dunny said. Rez looks good, but overkill unless you are going hard & fast. Crawling, no problem on the 2.0

I live in co, run the fox 2.0, wheeled all day and no issues with fade or lack of performance.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

thanks guys i'll just stick with the 2.0 then.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

I'm not 100% sure but I thought there was something about getting more compression from a rez shock because the cartridge is in the reservoir or something like that.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sea bass
I'm not 100% sure but I thought there was something about getting more compression from a rez shock because the cartridge is in the reservoir or something like that.
no longer travel. Not more compression. Simply more oil in the body and the Rez holds the nitrogen charge. This allows the unit to take more time to build heat to influence performance. That's pretty much it.

Both shocks from Fox are rebuildable as we'll.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
That, plus many hours of hot desert offroading with a lot of articulation.

IMO, more important than reservoirs, is ride quality, which depends on the shock hardness/softness for the specific coil.
You might end up with terrific shocks with reservoirs but hard ride, and the need to go through the process of re-valving the shocks.

Instead, you may want to consider Fox shocks with Compression Adjuster, so you can tweak the shocks by turning a knob, to get the exact ride you want.
(There are other makes with tunable softness, I prefer the Fox.)

I have Fox w/reservoirs, and wish I had the tunable Fox. I don't think they would have caused any problem during desert offroading.

Last edited by GJeep; 09-02-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

I'm alittle bias...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4197536144.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	574172  
Old 09-02-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

And how do they perform compared to a regular shock?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a Teraflex lift with their shocks on my 08. We rock crawl in the Rockies. I do like to air down and to the degree possible go around 10 mph or less. Sometimes of course much less, rarely more.

After a few hours of trail riding the shocks on my 08 would get too hot to grab with your hand, so somewhere around 140 degrees.

Fast forward, sold the 08 and got a 14 and put the teraflex lift on it with the Fox shocks tuned to the springs that came with the lift. I got the shocks with the reservoir. Now for the same work they barely get warm.

Probably does not make a tremendous amount of difference but keeping them cooler is always better for performance and longevity. I think you would really have to work them very hard to get them hot.

In any case the advice above to get a shock tuned to your springs is very important. The fox shocks may seem very harsh if you don't have them set up for your springs. The ones we got work really well, are noticeably stiffer but still give a great ride on the trail and on the road.

Quick Reply: fox shock with reservoir