Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame bracing???

Old 08-31-2015, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The jk is not a unibody obviously either...
Old 08-31-2015, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go full tube chassis
Old 08-31-2015, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by metaldemon
Years ago a person cut me off, and got hit by my XJ which I fully braced the frame, and Unibody. I drove home, and the car went away on a flatbed.

Pretty dbag thing to brag about.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by metaldemon
He also didn't know why the air bags didn't go off.
You're disabling airbags?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrok
You're disabling airbags?
By bracing the frame so the sensors in the frame, in essence- yes.

My opinion may vary from the OP but if the hit is hard enough that the air bags should go off, I want them to go off. But....this goes back to how our beefy bumpers that we put on our jeeps are for "off road use only" get used on the road and they have a similar effect to bracing the frame.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
By bracing the frame so the sensors in the frame, in essence- yes.

My opinion may vary from the OP but if the hit is hard enough that the air bags should go off, I want them to go off. But....this goes back to how our beefy bumpers that we put on our jeeps are for "off road use only" get used on the road and they have a similar effect to bracing the frame.
Ah, yea of course.

Well, I disagree about the beefy bumper affect on the sensors/crumple zone. That should remain unchanged. I would say the largest danger of having the beefier bumpers would be to the other party involved.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fredrok

Ah, yea of course.

Well, I disagree about the beefy bumper affect on the sensors/crumple zone. That should remain unchanged. I would say the largest danger of having the beefier bumpers would be to the other party involved.
Actually, an aftermarket bumper does affect the crumple zone because the impact to one side of the front is spread to both zones in the frame, not just one side. Yes, the factory bumper has the steel plate in it, that spreads the impact also, but not as much as a aftermarket does.

This is a buddy's jeep after a 60 mph impact, I don't think there is any issue with the jk frame needing to be beefed up. Looks like it held up just fine to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150901_115427.png
Views:	259
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	623425
Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by Maertz
The jk is not a unibody obviously either...
This. Ladder frames will take a bump and a bash and won't total your rig. I've backed into rocks with WOT and have bent a 35 spline Dana 60 and moved my rockhard bumper with my 2 door and do not see any signs of a bent frame.

There are only a few places JK's frame can use a little bracing I have found. At the steering box because of deflection at the sector shaft. Lots of companies offer solutions here: JKS, Synergy, etc. Also the factory transfer case cross member is pretty flimsy so I rebuilt mine. But neither of these are full frame bracing or removing crumple zones.

If there was even a slight demand for full frame bracing on the JK companies would be marketing it by now since all it would be are 2 long pieces of U-shaped metal with notches that would cost a grand.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLow
If there was even a slight demand for full frame bracing on the JK companies would be marketing it by now since all it would be are 2 long pieces of U-shaped metal with notches that would cost a grand.
Haha...that about sums it up right there.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lod signiture rock sliders

LOD SIGNITURE ROCK SLIDERS

I just put these on my JKU and noticed a massive difference, either I feel the weight of these things or the frame feels stiffer or both. Has any one herd of the frame stiffing up with just adding rock sliders?

Quick Reply: Frame bracing???