Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone built there own lift kit?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone built there own lift kit?

Has anyone built there own lift kit. As in not buy a kit but all the parts separately from the brands of your choice? If so was it difficult and do you recommend just getting the kit?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have Rock Krawler triple rate coils 2.5" up front 3.5" in back. Bilstien shocks, Tera Flex control arms and Tera Flex front adjustable track bar and TF rear track bar bracket. I mix and match parts. they work well together.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackhawkspkane
Has anyone built there own lift kit. As in not buy a kit but all the parts separately from the brands of your choice? If so was it difficult and do you recommend just getting the kit?
I started out with a used RC 4 inch lift and slowly replaced things as I reasearched.
Ended up with poly Springs, metalcloak arms, Tera flex tracbars, Fox resi shocks. And some other miscellaneous brackets.
Work very well and I plan on doing something similar with my 2nd jeep I just got.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It's a lot easier to just buy a kit. You'll drive yourself nuts piecing it all together, second guessing each and every decision on each and every part. And after the 6 months you spend on that, you will smack yourself in the forehead when it sinks in that you could have been driving a lifted jeep all along if you had just bought a kit...

But yeah, many of us have pieced lifts together. Just make sure you do the research so you have an idea if there are any fitment issues between mfgs. (mostly this comes up with steering components and sometimes trackbars and coils, or trackbars and diff covers.)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of us mix and match.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawkspkane
I have:

Evo front coils 4"
MC rears coils 3.5" ( for level stance)
Teraflex front lower arms
Teraflex rear uppers and Synergy rear lowers
Synergy drag link flip
JKS front track bar
Super lift rear track bar

I'm all over the map. But it's what works and rides well for my 4" lift
Old 03-22-2016, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

I will be building my own mutt lift as well...

I'm wearing out the search feature on this site now planning and putting it all together..
Old 03-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor

No issues doing the mix and match. That said, you are likely to get a better deal buying a kit. Some other benefits of a kit are if you have any issues such as ride or handling or something else. If you have RK coils, TF control arms, Rancho shocks, JKS track bars, etc., who do you call? If it is all RK for example, you can call and it is easy for them to help diagnose and resolve an issue. A company will ensure their kit works as advertised. It is difficult to help when it is a franken-lift.

We also believe that there is value in the consistency of design. Same style bushings everywhere provides consistent movement. Manufacturers tend to know the best combo of shocks to their coils, etc.

Don't get us wrong, we love custom suspension. However, we know the time and effort that we have put in to making them work the way we want them to vs. buying a kit that worked out of the box. We piece together when things get more complicated, such as long arms or different geometry. However, we are still consistent with the parts we use in a single design.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought my wife's jeep with a zone lift and I've steadily replaced parts as I went. I wish I could've convinced her just to have a good shop install a quality lift from the beginning.

Front-TeraFlex LCA's
Bilsteins all around
Rough country discos
Rough country adjustable track bar( Don't buy, flexes way too much)
Kept Zone coils, added a lift puck to front because of bumper sag.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is a mix of Metal Cloak, Old Man Emu, Synergy, PSC, Poison Spyder, Letz Roll Off Road, Rubicon Express, local driveshaft shop and my favorite local Jeep shop.
I could not afford an entire "kit" all at once, so, shopped around for the bits and pieces I though would work best for their designed purpose as funds allowed.
In hindsight, even if I could have funded an entire kit, I believe I have a better build having thought it out for myself.
One more note, it was nice that Metal Cloak started applying the OME shocks to their kits... made that decision much easier.

Quick Reply: Has anyone built there own lift kit?