Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you installed your own axle shafts?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you installed your own axle shafts?

Has anyone installed their own rear superior axle shafts? I picked my up today after having the tone rings and retainers installed. I'm planning to install them this weekend and was looking for any tips or issues I may face with the install.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I haven't on a JK, but I did a set on my TJ. Take off the caliper, rotor, and unbolt the retainer plate. I used a slide hammer I had to help in popping them out of the axle as they were engaged in the splines pretty tight. Overall it was pretty easy, probably 45 minutes start to finish for both sides.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your shafts didn't come with seal/bearing/bearing retainer already pressed onto the shaft, you will need to have that done. Otherwise, its a piece of cake.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the replies! I found a write up online that should assist with the install!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

All this $$ you are spending and still no winch
Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Junkie

Double check your wheel studs for length. I'm running Spidertrax wheel spacers and the ones that came with mine were too short. I had to get a set of 2 1/4 inch ones from them. They thread into the axles instead of being pressed in them. If you have no instructions, Chuck45 says they told him to torque them into the axle @ 70 FtLb and use plenty of red Loctite on both the threads going into the axle and on the threads for the lug nuts.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Should be a piece of cake, did mine in a hour or so. Two things, while you have the caliper off, adjust the parking brake. It's easier to get to the little adjuster hole. Second, I put some rtv inside the retaining plate before I bolted everything up.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
I haven't on a JK, but I did a set on my TJ. Take off the caliper, rotor, and unbolt the retainer plate. I used a slide hammer I had to help in popping them out of the axle as they were engaged in the splines pretty tight. Overall it was pretty easy, probably 45 minutes start to finish for both sides.
Same here, I installed mine on the TJ not the JK yet. but what you said is true.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seer1
Double check your wheel studs for length. I'm running Spidertrax wheel spacers and the ones that came with mine were too short. I had to get a set of 2 1/4 inch ones from them. They thread into the axles instead of being pressed in them. If you have no instructions, Chuck45 says they told him to torque them into the axle @ 70 FtLb and use plenty of red Loctite on both the threads going into the axle and on the threads for the lug nuts.
Just to be clear the 70 ft/lbs he'a referring to is the torque for the studs you thread into the new shaft outer plate for the wheel connection and NOT the torque for the axle shaft retainer behind the brake backing plate. That torque is 45 ft./lbs and I would recomend BLUE locktite on them. It's a bit easier to get to these axle shaft retainer nuts with an 18mm crowsfoot on a 3/8" drive torque wrench. I also don't recomend using ANY Locktite on the wheel retention studs. It's simply not necessary. Overall not a difficult job.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by doc307
All this $$ you are spending and still no winch
I'm fixing the parts that are broken. I don't really need a winch, I'll just use yours!

Quick Reply: Have you installed your own axle shafts?