Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Key stuck in ignition and shifter stuck in park

Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Key stuck in ignition and shifter stuck in park

Had an issue with transfer cable, took everything apart and can fix that. However, the shifter lever is stuck in park and it will not budge. 2010 auto so I tried checking the plastic rod in the shifter and it does not seem broken. On top of that, the key is now stuck in the ignition and no idea what's causing that. I went to the local dealership and 4 wheel store, tried to explain the situation, and they both looked at me like I was not very bright. I can manually shift gears if I bypass the lever so the issue seems to be the shifter assembly or a possible lockout and then the key being stuck on top of that. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the key stuck because the vehicle is not in park?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

No, the vehicle is in park. The shifter itself is stuck in park but the transmission is in park also
Old 04-23-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wait never mind I just re read your post. I'm not sure if JKs are equipped with shifter interlocks but do some research and see if there is one and where to locate it and try to bypass it. All it does is it sends a signal when you step on the brake to unlock the shifter.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

I know the 2011 and newer (I think) have a pink manual override next to the shifter that I've read about but I haven't seen anything like that on mine. Thanks for that info and I'll give it a try
Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Let me know how it works out for you!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

After some research this morning, I found out the cable that goes from the shifter to behind the steering wheel is called "brake interlock, key ignition interlock". I think this has to be the issue and I can order the part online for like $50. I was planning on taking it to the shop but this would save me quite some money if it were the issue. Any thoughts on this? Think it may be the issue/work? Thanks
Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brake switch is usually the issue. There are 2 brake switches on the brake pedal one for the brake lights and one for the interlock. Check to see if you have power to both sides of the switch with the key on and pedal depressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . Rich
Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

I'll definitely check that out when I get home and before ordering anything. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an issue like that in my wife's car. I was able to shift it into gear by using the override another member mentioned. The override is under a small cover near the shifter.

In her car, it turned out to be a stuck switch on the brake pedal. Once I cleaned it, it was fine. Never had another issue with it.

Quick Reply: Help! Key stuck in ignition and shifter stuck in park