Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with new SoftTop- I did search! But found nada!

Old 03-26-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new SoftTop- I did search! But found nada!

So, I went cheap when I bought my 13 JKUSahara. Got it with the color matched hard top- which I felt I needed in PA.
With the past two winters, I question that decision as well, but thats another story.

So, in Summer '13 I picked up a soft top from a guy on "another" JK forum. not a bad price with all hardware and that for $500. Its got tinted windows and was (as he told) originally from an '08 (he had it on his '11). He ended up selling to me when he bought a new Trektop.

So...Ive got two years out of it. This "off season" it took a beating stored in the attic of the garage. The rear window is scratched beyond my liking and I feel like its losing its luster. So, I've begun the hunt- for something new.

As I do a lot of highway and higher speed backroad travel for work, I'd like to have something quieter. And with the kids in the back, it would be nice to hear them when they talk (shhh.. dont tell them I said that!).
Ive thus been looking at options.

really like the new Bestop Trektop Pro- but I have the hard top for winter, and Im estimating about 75% of the summer, I run with the sun rider open and the back window rolled up. (not possible with a glass back window). So, Trektop Pro is out!

Trektop NX seems to get a lot of love, but I just found out, I cant run my spiderwebshade with the trektop nx (?). From a guy who's 100% german and once quoted as being the "whitest white guy" he had ever seen (from a barber in downtown Baltimore), I cant go without my shade! So, Trektop NX seems out (unless this information was wrong!)

So, down to factory Mopar, Bestop or Quadratop (are they really any different??). If I go with the Sailcloth/Twill/Premium options, I've seen that I should gain some noise reduction, as well better insulation. Also being lead to believe that storage should be easier as the higher end fabric wont crack or degrade quite as quick as the black diamond vinyl.
If I really want just the base vinyl top- I've got one, and I could replace the windows- but doesnt everyone like an upgrade!!

For each "brand" of premium tops it seems you can get two versions- replacement windows and fabric or the whole shebang.
All of this for this question...drum roll........If you get a Sailcloth/Twill/Premium replacement, will it work with the hardware from an '08? Apparently the design changed with the intro of the premium style in '11? and there is now a spring assist?

Obviously the replacements at $500-900 are easier to swallow than $950-$1600. I just dont want to be stuck.

So, if anyone can tell me that a spiderwebshade can be run with a trektop NX that would be great. Ive got a lead on a used one for around $500.
If it can't I'm in the market for a new style Sailcloth/Twill/Premium top! (and will take any leads in the NE- I'm in southern PA)

Thanks guys and gals!
Chris
Old 03-26-2015, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default yes,

You can run a spiderwebshade under a trektop NX, the only issue you will have is that the front corner spider straps go through the same two hoops that the front of the trektop (or any other top for that matter) latch to. So it is a little tight of a fit or you can release the front two spider straps when you latch your softtop on. Hope that helps, as far as the trektop nx goes, I love it, run it year round. Summer time I remove the rear windows so I don't scratch them if I were to roll them up ( a concern with any plastic window).
Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aubreys dad
So, I went cheap when I bought my 13 JKUSahara. Got it with the color matched hard top- which I felt I needed in PA. With the past two winters, I question that decision as well, but thats another story. So, in Summer '13 I picked up a soft top from a guy on "another" JK forum. not a bad price with all hardware and that for $500. Its got tinted windows and was (as he told) originally from an '08 (he had it on his '11). He ended up selling to me when he bought a new Trektop. So...Ive got two years out of it. This "off season" it took a beating stored in the attic of the garage. The rear window is scratched beyond my liking and I feel like its losing its luster. So, I've begun the hunt- for something new. As I do a lot of highway and higher speed backroad travel for work, I'd like to have something quieter. And with the kids in the back, it would be nice to hear them when they talk (shhh.. dont tell them I said that!). Ive thus been looking at options. really like the new Bestop Trektop Pro- but I have the hard top for winter, and Im estimating about 75% of the summer, I run with the sun rider open and the back window rolled up. (not possible with a glass back window). So, Trektop Pro is out! Trektop NX seems to get a lot of love, but I just found out, I cant run my spiderwebshade with the trektop nx (?). From a guy who's 100% german and once quoted as being the "whitest white guy" he had ever seen (from a barber in downtown Baltimore), I cant go without my shade! So, Trektop NX seems out (unless this information was wrong!) So, down to factory Mopar, Bestop or Quadratop (are they really any different??). If I go with the Sailcloth/Twill/Premium options, I've seen that I should gain some noise reduction, as well better insulation. Also being lead to believe that storage should be easier as the higher end fabric wont crack or degrade quite as quick as the black diamond vinyl. If I really want just the base vinyl top- I've got one, and I could replace the windows- but doesnt everyone like an upgrade!! For each "brand" of premium tops it seems you can get two versions- replacement windows and fabric or the whole shebang. All of this for this question...drum roll........If you get a Sailcloth/Twill/Premium replacement, will it work with the hardware from an '08? Apparently the design changed with the intro of the premium style in '11? and there is now a spring assist? Obviously the replacements at $500-900 are easier to swallow than $950-$1600. I just dont want to be stuck. So, if anyone can tell me that a spiderwebshade can be run with a trektop NX that would be great. Ive got a lead on a used one for around $500. If it can't I'm in the market for a new style Sailcloth/Twill/Premium top! (and will take any leads in the NE- I'm in southern PA) Thanks guys and gals! Chris

Hello. You can get a brand new trektop NX for around 600 if you work with vendors on the forums and include the bestop rebate. Just something to consider before spending 500 on used. I bought one this week and received it yesterday. Rick
Old 03-27-2015, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too am in the market for a soft top. My 2015 JK Rubicon came with a hard top only. I need to purchase the top and the hardware. I had my eye on the Bestop Supertop NX with tinted windows and sailcloth fabric. 4WD.com sells this for $1029 with free shipping. Does anyone know of a better price on this? I was looking at the trektop too but am not quite sure how it works. It almost seems to me that it's a cab cover with windows. Does it come off easy? Do you take it all the way off and store it in the back of the Jeep or is it designed to just roll up or remove the windows? I had a TJ for 9 years with a soft top only and like to spend most of the spring, summer, and fall with the top down. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

@Jeep801.. Not sure that you're aware that if you find a cheaper price be it Morris, 4WD, Quadratec.. all of these have price matching services.. So if you find it cheaper elsewhere, make sure you have all the data relevant/saved and submit this link to the retailer of your choice. That's the great thing about these retailers, they want your business.. and sure there is a little competition involved. Granted they (the above mentioned companies) prob wont accept some fly by night ebay account selling the top you desire for an extremely low/below price..

Last edited by JeepersDigest; 03-27-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Heynowwww-Rick-
Who did you go through? I've searched and seems the $50 rebate gets you down to $700 or just under but can't find a way to get to $600.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Morris contacted me after this post with a 10% off code. I went to their website and of course the code was invalid for the Softtop. I guess I'll keep looking for now.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

.. So Morris contacted you here?.. and the Code didn't work?.. then contact Morris again.. I would verify that it in fact Morris4x4 that contacted you.. maybe get over to their site and live chat with them.. I'm sure any one of those sites can offer you a better deal.. why because they are members of this forum..
Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeep801
Morris contacted me after this post with a 10% off code. I went to their website and of course the code was invalid for the Softtop. I guess I'll keep looking for now.
I had the same thing. Sent them a pm on here saying it didn't work. Was told to call. They gave me 5% off over the phone. Paid $693 shipped before the Bestop rebate.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aubreys dad
Heynowwww-Rick- Who did you go through? I've searched and seems the $50 rebate gets you down to $700 or just under but can't find a way to get to $600.
Sent you a message with details. Thanks. Rick

Quick Reply: Help with new SoftTop- I did search! But found nada!