Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden Jeep kill switch anyone?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hidden Jeep kill switch anyone?

Does any one have a hidden kill switch mod that a do it yourself guy can do? Just something basic that kills the power to the starter and acts as an anti-theft device? I have seen one on a car where you push the cigarrette lighter and it kills the power to the starter. With all the crafty modders on here, someone must have a low buck, do it yourself, anti-theft kill switch Jeep mod to share!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery quick disconnect? The little twist ones you use on like boat batteries? If your worried just pop the hood and unhook. Seems simple and a theft wouldn't think to check the battery I don't think.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Seems like a bit much? Dont all JKs have chipped keys anyway? Plus a night switch would reset your clock and stereo every time too.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's what was going threw my head, the chipped keys. But he asked, so I gave it my simple idea lolb
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BossierCity_Jk
That's what was going threw my head, the chipped keys. But he asked, so I gave it my simple idea lolb
My 2009 JK doesn't have a chipped key, just a an old school chipless one.

Last edited by JVDBogart; 05-01-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JVDBogart
My 2009 JK doesn't have a chipped key, just the old fashioned chipless kind.
I'm pretty sure your JK requires a key with a transponder in it.
What does your key look like?
Both of these have a transponder chip.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AndrewJ
Seems like a bit much? Dont all JKs have chipped keys anyway? Plus a night switch would reset your clock and stereo every time too.
If the kill switch was between the battery and starter, then it shouldn't affect the current flowing to the radio? I'm no electrician, so feel free to tell me if I am wrong.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I'm pretty sure your JK requires a key with a transponder in it.
What does your key look like?
Both of these have a transponder chip.

It looks like the gray key except it says Jeep on it. I didn't think there was a chip in there. Those sneaky little bastards at Chrysler are at it again! The chip prevents unauthorized starting through the ignition I assume, but it wouldn't stop a "hot wiring" Jeep thief would it??
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JVDBogart
It looks like the gray key except it says Jeep on it. I didn't think there was a chip in there. Those sneaky little bastards at Chrysler are at it again! The chip prevents unauthorized starting through the ignition I assume, but it wouldn't stop a "hot wiring" Jeep thief would it??
It doesn't prevent starting, but not having a key programmed to the vehicle will result in the engine shutting off in 2 seconds.

I suppose any security system can be defeated. I have heard of little devices that can fool the system.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BossierCity_Jk
Battery quick disconnect? The little twist ones you use on like boat batteries? If your worried just pop the hood and unhook. Seems simple and a theft wouldn't think to check the battery I don't think.
That would do the job for sure, but is an obvious pain to do everytime you park your Jeep. The kill switch I mentioned in my initial post was perfect because it was basically effortless. The owner parked, then pushed in the cigarette lighter killing power to the starter. Then he would simply pull the cigaretter lighter out which restored starter power and drive away. The ability to totally kill all power to the starter that easily makes it a killer security mod IMHO.

Quick Reply: Hidden Jeep kill switch anyone?