Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High lift necessity?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High lift necessity?

At what point does it become necessary to use or carry a high lift with you?
Or at what tire size does the standard jack become unsafe?
I know high lifts can be quite dangerous, just want to make sure I don't find myself sitting with my thumb in my ass if the occasion arises that I need it.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zach17
At what point does it become necessary to use or carry a high lift with you? Or at what tire size does the standard jack become unsafe? I know high lifts can be quite dangerous, just want to make sure I don't find myself sitting with my thumb in my ass if the occasion arises that I need it.
well tuesday i need it. I broke my track bar mount and i had to pick up my front end to get it to where i could get it lined up to strap it to get back to the black top. I have a 48" i almost used all of it. So to me it is 100% necessary

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-132951293.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	567391
Old 07-24-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or at what tire size does the standard jack become unsafe?
I know high lifts can be quite dangerous, just want to make sure I don't find myself sitting with my thumb in my ass if the occasion arises that I need it.
You are already there.... it should be in every off roader's arsenal, no matter the level of difficulty. Mine seemingly gets used at least once on every trail, for either recovery or repairs.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi lift extreme saved my ass once already where my winch just was impractical at the angle I was at. Tomorrow it will help me install a new set of bilsteins in the parking lot as I lunched not one but BOTH rear fox 2.0 shocks (torn seals from sand abrading the chrome) out on race point this week.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

If you don't have hi lift jack points in your bumpers where are you supposed to put it to get it to work?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rozzman10
If you don't have hi lift jack points in your bumpers where are you supposed to put it to get it to work?
Are your bumpers frame mounted? Just stick that bad boy under there and up she goes.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the wheel adapter. Works great if just need to lift a tire if you're hung up or high centered.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get creative... I've used wheel lips, sliders, shackle points, bumpers, cages, tow hitches, tie rods, etc... Just be very careful to respect this type of jack, it can be dangerous, even when used correctly.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Get creative... I've used wheel lips, sliders, shackle points, bumpers, cages, tow hitches, tie rods, etc... Just be very careful to respect this type of jack, it can be dangerous, even when used correctly.
Dangerous indeed. But super effective when used correctly. I just worry about putting it under things like bumper edges, wheel lips, etc. because in those positions a lot of times it has nothing to keep it from sliding left and right.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

right after you buy your first tow strap you should buy your first hi-lift. When you thinkin of recovery gear, those are the first 2 things one should get.

Quick Reply: High lift necessity?