Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to safely remove fender flares?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to safely remove fender flares?

I'm buying a 2014 billet silver rubicon today. It has the paint matched hardtop but the black fender flares. I want to remove the fender flares to color match paint them. What's the best way to remove them as to not damage them? I've seen guys just rip them off to instal flatties, but that must tear apart the plastic holes?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't really. I took painted fenders off my Sahara and bought some unpainted ones off craigslist to cut and put back on. Once you are sure all the bolts are removed in front, you can literally just rip them off with no ill effects.

FWIW, I ended up selling my painted fenders for $200. The unpainted I bought for $100. So I netted $100 on my fender trim

EDIT: Just re-read your post... I am not sure that the black unpainted ones are able to be paint-matched as they have a texture to them, whereas the paint-matched fenders are smooth.

Last edited by jeep_n_co; 04-05-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that when you are ready to unclip the fenders you pull up NOT out. This will make sure you don't break the expensive little clips.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you break some clips, just order them online while your getting flares painted. Dealer will rape you on those.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

ClipsandfastenersDOTcom for your clips, it'll be your friend.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Might as well get a bunch of the new clips. No matter how careful you are, you WILL break a few of them. X2 on double checking how your fenders will work getting painted with texture finish.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the textured fenders? Not easy. But a few nice coats of epoxy primer, like three part DuPont Euro-Prime, will easily fill the texture and make a very smooth durable surface for base coat clear coat. DO NOT TRY TO SAND THEM FIRST. you will cause furry little rips(gouges) in the plastic and make it even harder to get a smooth surface for paint. Just clean them really well with soap and water, then prep them with a pre paint solvent prior to primer coat. Then wet sand lightly with 320 sand paper until the surface is perfect.

This is the same procedures for use on all other grainy plastics on Jeeps. Or any car.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
ClipsandfastenersDOTcom for your clips, it'll be your friend.
x2

These are the part numbers and the listed prices back when I bought.
A20887 - $8.92 box of 15
A11146 - $2.97 box of 25
Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyMalkin
Make sure that when you are ready to unclip the fenders you pull up NOT out. This will make sure you don't break the expensive little clips.
2X to that Yes, UP....... Clips will break if you pull out. I learned the hard way, but I did not need them.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fender removal will be fine. It will sound much worse than it actually is. Invest in more plastic clips, but otherwise the stock flares are infact pretty durable.

Quick Reply: How to safely remove fender flares?