Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got 37's please help!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got 37's please help!!!!!!!

I have a procomp stage 1 4 inch lift on a 2010 jk unlimited sahara 4 door. The nitto trail grapplers are rubbing a little and making contact on the pinch seam. The procomp kit came with the jk when I bought it so I'm considering going higher since the rear wheel is so much closer to the fender. I plan on doing lots off roading. The jk is going to the shop tomorrow morning for artic tuss and sleeved and it already has 488 gears. I like to go higher and been considering the the TeraFlex 6" LCG Long Arm Suspension System with Shocks or the Rock Krawler 5.5" Triple Threat Long Arm Stage 2 System Lift Kit on 37's

I'm not worried about the cost I want to be able drive around town with the wife and be able go on trails without breaking stuff. I plan on getting drive shaft upgraded too tomorrow. So, between those two lift kits which one is best in terms of quality and drivability around town? I want it to be smoother ride than a stock jk...haha Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287.JPG
Views:	1712
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	638347

Last edited by Montero26; 02-21-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't answer your question on the lift kit because there are many variables involved with your decision. The first thing you should do is trim your pinch seam with a reciprocating saw (or some other way, some fold it over using a big hammer and channel locks). Search on pinch seam and you will see threads about it. Adding adjustable upper control arms to the rear will help also.

Note: I'm running 37's on a TF 2.5" coil lift with a trimmed pinch seam and flat fenders with little to no rubbing. I prefer a lower center of gravity.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Totally subjective.

That is a lot of lift. Guys run 37's with 2.5", 3", 3.5" and 4" lifts all the time - with high clearance flat fenders and proper bump stops.

Either will do the job and are pretty complete. Don't skimp on quality shocks for either. For that kind of money I would stick with shocks that TF or RK have tuned for their springs. Personally, I am more of a Teraflex fan.

It's your Jeep, have fun with it.

Another opinion for you. If you are going to off-road it a lot, you might save the coin on fixing up that stock axle and just throw some coin out on an aftermarket beefed up 44 that can handle the 37's with ease.

Last edited by TxJeepers; 02-21-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Cut the pinch seam... 5-6in of lift is ALOT for 37s and a jku in general... You'll most likely be more unstable offroad, have worse on road manners, and not much if any benefit on suspension travel. Even with that much lift you still might have to cut the pinch seam to keep from rubbing it

Last edited by twinz33; 02-21-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Yea, also consider unless you have a caster corrected axle up front drivability will suck with that much lift.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with a 6" lift

Trim the pinch seam & move the rear axle back a bit with adjustable arms if possible. This will recenter your wheel in the wheel well & give you back any wheelbase you lost with the lift.

I run 3" synergy coils, 2.5" rear bumpstops, 37s, trimmed fenders and trimmed pinch seam with no rubbing at full stuff.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twinz33
Cut the pinch seem... 5-6in of lift is ALOT for 37s and a jku in general... You'll most likely be more unstable offroad, have worse on road manners, and not much if any benefit on suspension travel. Even with that much lift you still might have to cut the pinch seem to keep from rubbing it
^^^Exactly what he said!!! 6" is way too much. 2.5-3" is plenty and Pinch seam trim. Spend the money on real good shocks, springs. Look at King shocks is a good start.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Totally agree with everything said here 6" is to much. Since your looking at Teraflex I'll chime in and say I'm running their 3" lcg elite long arm with the elka shocks and speed bumps. rides great on road, flexible and stable on the slow stuff and feels great bombing down all the two tracks we have around here. no rubbing with 37's once things are trimmed up. With that said I've been slowly building my dad's with RK components and we've both been pleased so far with how his is performing. Can't go wrong with either of them.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Just adding more lift will not stop the rubbing, you need to properly set up your bump stops. Trimming pinch seams is normal for 37's. 4" so plenty for 37's and like what was mentioned a heavy duty caster corrected front axle is strongly recommended for 4" + of lift and running 37"+ tires.

A properly set up long arm will give you a better ride unfortunately almost all of the long arm kits out there are designed poorly due to the constraints of the jk design. You need to look closely at the location of the arm mounts, the length if the arms, the arm joints, and the orientation of the links. You will also want to be looking into a high steer solution (drag link flip) to improve steering and ride quality.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

^^ yup even with only 3" of lift I'm running Reid knuckles, drag link flip with raised track bar brackets. Definitely recommended for good handling along with caster correction.

Quick Reply: Just got 37's please help!!!!!!!