Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got hit......time for upgrades.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:26 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Basically exact same damage happened to me, slightly less; passenger side lower control arm mount was bent, control arm was deemed bent (thought I don't think it was), shock was bent, same fender damage...etc. Insurance cut me a $3,700 check. The check was for new OEM parts, plus the aftermarket shock.

Good luck. Definitely upgrade.

Good to know. I know we had our exchanges on the commie thread so thanks for chiming in...

Old 02-23-2017, 08:38 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by catahoula
Wooohooo! Congrats. Jeepers are a strange bunch!

Haha. Yeah, others may see "rain" but I do try to find the positive to spin in any situation no matter the degree of cluster-fvck. In this case I'm seeing/praying brand new beefy axle!

What's interesting is that I've been saving my pennies double-time to get the Jeep all paid up and at least a new front axle before this summer's Rubicon run. If this all works out in my favor, I think the good man upstairs has been listening.

....we need a prayer emoji. I could have sworn we had one at one time....

Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

A couple small points here.....most reputable shops are going to offer a lifetime warranty on the work. I've had a few accidents and you always get the "go to our preferred shop for lifetime warranty" but the shop will warranty their work. I've not had the opportunity to test anyone's word on it despite the shoddy work I've received from both recommended and non recommended shops.

And then #2- going through your own insurance to expedite things. It sounds like a good idea but then your insurance covers it and they have to pursue the other company. The other company fights and can win because your company has accepted the responsibility of fixing the vehicle. In turn, guess who the company is going to look to charge. I've considered going that same route but after talking with different reps and companies, I quickly found out that's not the way to go.

Best of luck with your repair and remember that these guys aren't always as anal as we are. I had a driveline vibe after an accident and they had the shop owner, head mechs, independent insurance adjuster, and even a second body shop try to hunt down the vibe. They swore up and down that it was normal and nothing was awry. 10 mins under the vehicle and I found my transmission mount slid forward an inch and you could see the marks on the transmission crossmember where the mount slid forward but nobody else caught it. 10 mins with a 16mm wrench to reset the driveline back to the resting position and everything was back to normal. The shop owner also claimed to have a wrangler of the same year and model as mine........yet managed to incorrectly place -all- badging
Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by karls10jk
A couple small points here.....most reputable shops are going to offer a lifetime warranty on the work. I've had a few accidents and you always get the "go to our preferred shop for lifetime warranty" but the shop will warranty their work. I've not had the opportunity to test anyone's word on it despite the shoddy work I've received from both recommended and non recommended shops.

And then #2- going through your own insurance to expedite things. It sounds like a good idea but then your insurance covers it and they have to pursue the other company. The other company fights and can win because your company has accepted the responsibility of fixing the vehicle. In turn, guess who the company is going to look to charge. I've considered going that same route but after talking with different reps and companies, I quickly found out that's not the way to go.

Best of luck with your repair and remember that these guys aren't always as anal as we are. I had a driveline vibe after an accident and they had the shop owner, head mechs, independent insurance adjuster, and even a second body shop try to hunt down the vibe. They swore up and down that it was normal and nothing was awry. 10 mins under the vehicle and I found my transmission mount slid forward an inch and you could see the marks on the transmission crossmember where the mount slid forward but nobody else caught it. 10 mins with a 16mm wrench to reset the driveline back to the resting position and everything was back to normal. The shop owner also claimed to have a wrangler of the same year and model as mine........yet managed to incorrectly place -all- badging

Good to know. So if I'm following correctly, let's say I don't go through our AAA. Would I contact Geico directly with all of the other driver's info / policy info and basically say, "I'm the guy whose vehicle got hit by one of your insured. I'm planning to have XYZ shop do all the work." Then in turn, they send their Geico adjuster out to the shop the rig will be at to examine?

In this case, I'm fighting against Geico directly correct?

The rig will have to get towed to the shop because there's no way I want to drive it going past 10mph. With the front driver's tire toed out, it already started to eat away at the rubber just limping back home from the accident site which was only ~ 4 houses down from where we live. I literally pulled out of the neighborhood, drove about 30 yards then BOOM!

Last edited by DJ1; 02-23-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Correct- you do not want to contact your company on the accident. I think it's Geico where they won't look at your vehicle until the other guy opens a claim and calls in to report his side. Then they'll call you and arrange for their adjuster to check out your vehicle.

On the adjuster- usually they have set locations where check vehicles (the preferred shops) but I've had them come to wherever my vehicle was towed and go from there- especially with the vehicle being undriveable.

I guess I phrased it a little odd further up. You won't be fighting Geico at all. You'll be at the body shop of your choice and they'll call Geico and ask for more money. Every time that I've been around these accidents, there have been supplemental requests for money.

The best luck I've had with adjusters is to be there with them to explain the accident then let them do their thing. After they do their estimate then they'll walk you through the estimate and that's the time for you to point out things they may not have seen. They'll add it up and cut you a check. This is where folks break out their receipts if they think the number is low. Example- he gives $250 towards for the bumper because it isn't in their system but you paid $800. Then you take the check and the repair paperwork to your shop and go from there. If they need more money then they call the adjuster and he'll come out.

Also, they can give allowances. So if something like the rock ring isn't destroyed/ structurally unsafe then they can give you an allowance to have it repaired, say $75 towards paint as opposed to $100 for the ring plus $50 for powdercoat.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I just went through a similar accident, I'll share my experience. First, since the driver that caused my accident left the scene, my insurance company had to be used. I have a lien on my Jeep and State Farm let me choose my shop and cut the check directly to me. So, it may depend on the insurance company. Also, the owner of the body shop I choose happened to be a friend of mine. He put together a generous quote covering factory replacement parts. I had to have the left front fender replaced and painted so he did that. The rest of the parts I was able to upgrade including Synergy TB, tie rod, RK arms, Dynatrac PR44 Unlimited and a re-gear down to 4.88. I ended up with about $1K out of pocket. I replaced the suspension parts myself and worked with another friend who owns a shop to swap the front axle housing and regear both diffs. I couldn't quite swing new shafts, but I can change those later. So, if you can do some of the work yourself, you can put even more into aftermarket parts or your pocket.

Last edited by japatton@icloud.com; 02-24-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Sorry about your bender....Since we're all sharing experiences, I had ~$6800 in damage to mine as I ripped the hard top, the doors, and the windshield frame on a root while camping.

Insurance picked it up. I needed a new hardtop + freedom panels, two new doors, new windshield frame. I had also busted an axle shaft that weekend so when I heard the quote, I was eager to get my check and replace everything. (Buddy was going to sell me his hard top for $1200 + doors at a shop, etc.) It would've given me enough to square the axle away and fix all the body work.

Since I have a lien on the vehicle AND the damage was MORE than $5k, they cut a two party check to myself and the body shop. If it were under $5k, they would've cut me a check. It busted my plans but I was happy with the body work. They were "certified" and have have warranties but as Tommy Boy's old man said about warranties....

Also...In terms of notifying your insurance...I think if it's a cut and dry case of fault, it isn't a bad idea. Your insurance will pay and they'll go to theirs for subrogation. My son got into a wreck, clearly the other persons fault and our insurance paid, then went and reclaimed their money from the others. Further, your insurance company isn't in the business of losing money. My son got into a wreck which WAS his fault and the people sued for "soft tissue damage in their back". For him, (I've learned) I only had $10K bodily injury so when my insurance called me stating I may not have enough insurance to cover their bill from the ambulance chaser. I told them that I'm fresh out of cash if that's the case and they were able to tell the other folks, "You'll get $10k...take it or leave it...We'll go to court". Magically, the people accepted it.

Good luck. I hope it all works out.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

To the people suggesting you not involve your insurance, are you serious? Perhaps if you were at fault you'd want to work something out so you wouldn't have an at-fault on your secret insurance file, but when someone hits you, having the horsepower of your insurance company behind you is what you pay your premium for. They don't take a cut and will actually help to make sure you're getting what you deserve, and, should things go south, they will be able to bring in their big guns and make it right.

Going the other route, i.e. not telling them you were hit, which should be in the verbiage in your policy anyway in the notification section, will create problems if the other company starts jerking you around and trying to save money, which is what insurance companies do. You have no leverage against them, and in a few months when things go wrong and you call your insurance company, you're unlikely to get any help because you didn't notify them right away.

There is no benefit to not involve them at this point.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Geico

Just a quick story. I was recently hit by a Geico insured driver. They absolutely demanded that I drive my car (which was driveable) to one of their shops for an estimate. The shop was 30 minutes from my home without traffic!!! In Southern California that drive would likely be 45 minutes to an hour at least. I said, "No way. Your adjuster comes to my home, my work, or a place that is local for me." They would not budge. Even with a "manager" involved they said no I would have to go to their shop for the estimate. 4 calls later with them telling me no way would they come to me I finally I said, "Ok, cool with me. Let's talk about reimbursement then for travel. I'm going to be out of work for at least two hours and fuel to your shop and back home. Let's call it $250. You cut me a check for $250 and I'll happily drive out to your shop. Let's not forget here that your insured hit me. Let's repeat that. Your insured hit me. So, do you truly feel that I should be forced to take off work and drive 25 miles to your shop to get an estimate?" Silence. Geico rep quietly says, "Ok, I think we can get an adjuster out to your house.

Adjuster came. Was very very nice. Did a very detailed job and cut a check on the spot that I was happy with and felt was fair. Point of the story. Don't be afraid through the process to speak up and ask for what you want. It doesn't matter if it is with your insurance (who you should notify) the other party's insurance, or the shop doing the work. Just ask questions and let them know what you want to do. They will work with you.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:55 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jordy
To the people suggesting you not involve your insurance, are you serious? Perhaps if you were at fault you'd want to work something out so you wouldn't have an at-fault on your secret insurance file, but when someone hits you, having the horsepower of your insurance company behind you is what you pay your premium for. They don't take a cut and will actually help to make sure you're getting what you deserve, and, should things go south, they will be able to bring in their big guns and make it right.

Going the other route, i.e. not telling them you were hit, which should be in the verbiage in your policy anyway in the notification section, will create problems if the other company starts jerking you around and trying to save money, which is what insurance companies do. You have no leverage against them, and in a few months when things go wrong and you call your insurance company, you're unlikely to get any help because you didn't notify them right away.

There is no benefit to not involve them at this point.

This is the route I actually took with no forward knowledge and in hind-sight, I think the best route. So once again, maybe my guardian angels were looking out.

At the scene of the accident, both myself and the at-fault got on the horn with both our insurance companies at the same time and notified them of the accident. Turns out the at-fault guy also lives about 3 houses down from where the accident happened. So hey, at least I know where the guy actually lives lol....

Anyway getting back to hind-sight, I agree. Since I'm not at fault, I would rather have our own insurance AAA fight on my behalf. I would rather have their big guns fight on my behalf rather than take on the behemoth Geico on by my little self.

I do / am planning to be there when the adjuster shows up. Definitely want to see in real-time what they come up with so if it is low, then I'll start pulling out receipts on some of the modded parts like the Evo Skinz, the TrailReady Beadlock, the JKS J-Axis control arms, the JKS Flex Connects, the Nitro Sleeves, Synergy Tie-Rod (maybe even the Synergy Trackbar), and Teraflex C-gussets since I'm being led to believe that the at-fault's insurance should cover my modded parts.

I am pissed about the apparent b.s. $20/day car rental allowance. I mean really, $20/day will get me a shitty Ford Fiesta. Talk about eating some humble pie and losing your fvcking balls. WTF. I'd think it would be correct to assume that I should be comp'd for a comparable vehicle especially since I need a vehicle that has a rear hitch so I can tow the trailer or use a hitch carrier when I need it for work? You try to rent a 2-door Wrangler anywhere and it's at least $50-$65 per day. I need to talk to AAA about it...

Btw, great insight / responses from all either way. Opens up the discussion to make more knowledgeable decisions. Because like GI Joe says, "Knowing is half the battle!"

We really should make a JK wreck / insurance sticky. This crap doesn't happen every day so it would be nice to have something to refer back to when needed.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-24-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Just got hit......time for upgrades.