Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just got hit......time for upgrades.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:50 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just an update. Have not towed the vehicle anywhere yet. Haven't had an estimator come to price the damages yet.

What I did find out is that as mentioned above, pretty much everyone from what I can tell warranties the work done. So far, they all seem like "lifetime" warranties.

What I also found out after speaking to the AAA rep, is that apparently if I want any modded parts to be covered then I would have to go through the other guy's Geico insurance directly. AAA would only cover "like" replacement parts, not necessarily new OEM replacements, whatever the hell that means. Junkyard parts?

After speaking to a local specialized Jeep shop who unfortunately doesn't deal with insurance work, they did refer me over to a shop right next door to them that has actually gotten real good reviews. I talked to the manager and he said basically to get the estimate done before getting the vehicle towed anywhere. Once the estimate is done, I can see how much $$ I'm working with. Then once the rig is towed to the shop of my choice, they can do their own estimate and he said he would also push for the supplemental if I brought the Jeep there. This being if I filed the claim with AAA.

I probably should have asked him if he were in my shoes knowing that my insurance won't cover modded parts, if it made more sense to go through Geico instead.....guess I'll call him back.

After speaking with the AAA rep, I just got the impression that if I went with one of their AAA approved shops, it sounded like they were going to probably go the cheapest route on everything even though I'm not at fault....

I did a get a rental......a Ford Fusion lol.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-24-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
AAA would only cover "like" replacement parts, not necessarily new OEM replacements, whatever the hell that means. Junkyard parts?

LKQ, like kind and quality. It's like if Quadratec makes a gas cap and is $5 but the OEM one is $10, they'll go Quadratec. That's a basic overview.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:54 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
LKQ, like kind and quality. It's like if Quadratec makes a gas cap and is $5 but the OEM one is $10, they'll go Quadratec. That's a basic overview.

Yeah, I was thinking probably Omix-Ada parts or the like but I don't see how they could get around the axle housing. You're pretty much looking at maybe Mopar overstock pricing and worse case salvaged if not brand new from Mopar I would think?

On the other hand, a local Jeeper who is also a mechanic said I'd probably be looking at also the knuckles, frame mounts, and steering components (I'm thinking maybe also the steering gearbox?) which I think could be covered under the supplemental. So that's possibly good news. More $$ to work with.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default yeh

so if your windshield was cracked they can use 3rd world glass rather than a factory chrysler jeep glass with the little jeep going up the hill on it in the lower corner . if a panel was damaged rather than replace the quarter , they can use a skin
to cut a corner and keep expense down and try and blend paint. fake trail rated badge for 3.00 rather than the factory 40.00 one lol (low ball) pricing but then the shop argues that and they compromise and you get the 38.00 one . But they refuse your upgraded axle over what you have now.
Again your adjuster is key . To how the whole thing plays out .
have some of those krispy Kream donuts out with some coffee for him on the hood
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	f7cfa7a957e793db470cd981d8002618x.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	667263   Click image for larger version

Name:	e4i0TAZ.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	667265  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-24-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1

What I also found out after speaking to the AAA rep, is that apparently if I want any modded parts to be covered then I would have to go through the other guy's Geico insurance directly. AAA would only cover "like" replacement parts, not necessarily new OEM replacements, whatever the hell that means. Junkyard parts?

In theory, you're going to go through Geico as their customer hit you and is responsible. It's not really a choice. They don't get to pick and choose what they replace however. If you have a long arm lift, they need to replace in kind, they can't go back to OEM suspension components. I was hoping you'd have better luck with AAA, but I know some friends went through a nightmare after being rearended and AAA not doing much in the way of helping.

If you have aftermarket items that are visibly damaged, start compiling a list, pull up pages on the internet with replacement costs. Get a good gauge of them, don't just pull all the high ones, as they're going to pull all the fleabay and other low ones. Show them you're being realistic. If you have receipts from where you bought them, go to those places and get prices on the same items where you can.

Dig in your heels with AAA, and look at other options when this is done. You pay them to be on your side, especially in this instance. Make them work. If you don't like the adjuster and what he's doing for you, find out who his boss is. Explain the situation, but be nice. Always be nice.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
so if your windshield was cracked they can use 3rd world glass rather than a factory chrysler jeep glass with the little jeep going up the hill on it in the lower corner . if a panel was damaged rather than replace the quarter , they can use a skin
to cut a corner and keep expense down and try and blend paint. fake trail rated badge for 3.00 rather than the factory 40.00 one lol (low ball) pricing but then the shop argues that and they compromise and you get the 38.00 one . But they refuse your upgraded axle over what you have now.
Again your adjuster is key . To how the whole thing plays out .
have some of those krispy Kream donuts out with some coffee for him on the hood

You don't have to talk to me about windshields! Heck, I've been through 2 of the OEM one's and those crack just breathing on em'. Finally told Safelight on the 3rd one to give me the aftermarket and that has lasted through a few knicks already. I'm done with the factory glass with the little jeep on it haha

The upgrade to the PR44, if I can even get ~ $1500-$2k of it covered, I don't mind shelling out $3k for the difference.

Yeah, whoever comes out is gonna get a nice bagel sandwich and coffee from Noah's lol. I don't think you can go wrong with Krispy Kreme either! Hell, I may borrow the lady's perfume....

Last edited by DJ1; 02-24-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jordy
In theory, you're going to go through Geico as their customer hit you and is responsible. It's not really a choice. They don't get to pick and choose what they replace however. If you have a long arm lift, they need to replace in kind, they can't go back to OEM suspension components. I was hoping you'd have better luck with AAA, but I know some friends went through a nightmare after being rearended and AAA not doing much in the way of helping.

Yeah I follow. Basically what urmyboyblue had stated "Your insurance will pay and they'll go to theirs for subrogation" so in the end, it's still going to be on Geico's shoulders.

If you have aftermarket items that are visibly damaged, start compiling a list, pull up pages on the internet with replacement costs. Get a good gauge of them, don't just pull all the high ones, as they're going to pull all the fleabay and other low ones. Show them you're being realistic. If you have receipts from where you bought them, go to those places and get prices on the same items where you can.

Sounds good. Other than the AEV suspension and TR beadlock, pretty much everything else we got was through NorthRidge so no problem pulling the receipts and screen shots of current prices. Speaking with the shop manager, after I told him overall what I was planning to do and giving him just the initial damage that could easily be seen, he seemed confident that he could get the supplemental.

Dig in your heels with AAA, and look at other options when this is done. You pay them to be on your side, especially in this instance. Make them work. If you don't like the adjuster and what he's doing for you, find out who his boss is. Explain the situation, but be nice. Always be nice.

I hear that. Basically had AAA because the lady took care of it lol. After this, I'll be shopping around with some of the Mutual Insurance Companies and switching our policies over. Time to take care of the loose ends. I'm done dealing with companies only concerned with their stock prices and quarterly reports.

Pretty much going to shop this list and see what comes up....
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._United_States

Old 02-25-2017, 06:01 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by japatton@icloud.com
Since I just went through a similar accident, I'll share my experience. First, since the driver that caused my accident left the scene, my insurance company had to be used. I have a lien on my Jeep and State Farm let me choose my shop and cut the check directly to me. So, it may depend on the insurance company. Also, the owner of the body shop I choose happened to be a friend of mine. He put together a generous quote covering factory replacement parts. I had to have the left front fender replaced and painted so he did that. The rest of the parts I was able to upgrade including Synergy TB, tie rod, RK arms, Dynatrac PR44 Unlimited and a re-gear down to 4.88. I ended up with about $1K out of pocket. I replaced the suspension parts myself and worked with another friend who owns a shop to swap the front axle housing and regear both diffs. I couldn't quite swing new shafts, but I can change those later. So, if you can do some of the work yourself, you can put even more into aftermarket parts or your pocket.

This sounds promising. Other than the welding of the C's and some help I got from a fellow forum member installing the Teraflex Ball Joints and pounding in the Nitro Sleeves, I've done everything else myself.

I've done the mechanical (all the other bolt-ons) and electrical (I installed the Spod as well as the Genesis Dual Battery setup + aux lighting) so that is no problem to do work myself to save on labor if it made sense to go that route instead of having the shop do everything.

If I can get everything upgraded that I haven't already upgraded such as:
- the axle (to PR44 fully kitted with ARB + RCVs - not sure if I'd upgrade the knuckles)
- steering box (maybe even to PSC?)
- drag-link (to Yeti - maybe go high steer route)
- free upgrade to 4.56 gears up front (I'll pay out of pocket to have the rear 44 setup)
- maybe throw on some Synergy HD frame control arm brackets to get welded on

....and only pay $2k-$3k out of pocket I would be stoked.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-25-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Well heres your jeep back!

Its as close as we could get it , hope u like it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	667273  
Old 02-25-2017, 06:19 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Its as close as we could get it , hope u like it

Haha. Yeah, my luck. Then again if I thought I could get more than $45k in return for selling it on Ebay, I might be tempted to go ahead and take it.

Now I'm curious as to how much one of those would actually sell for

Quick Reply: Just got hit......time for upgrades.