Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got hit......time for upgrades.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ya i wonder as well

youl be ok with it in the end , but i wouldt get my hopes up real high on all top notch mods. i doubt the ins. adj. will go with that idea. even if you fit the bill for difference . maybe they are jeep friendly on the west coast. Hey you never know though you might get a guy who will work to make you happy. but you gotta remember its all on paper and he has to show it to the company , when all is said and done. So if thers something that he would rather not try and explain to his boss that all parts were upgraded from what was damaged . He would take the hit.
lets face it. But you could get a easy goin one who says yeh go for it thats fine if you want to pay the difference . But id count on nothing more than what you have now. unless they just cut a check to you. Then yould be golden. but i didnt think theyd do it with a loan on it . interested to see how this goes .
Old 02-25-2017, 07:53 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
youl be ok with it in the end , but i wouldt get my hopes up real high on all top notch mods. i doubt the ins. adj. will go with that idea. even if you fit the bill for difference . maybe they are jeep friendly on the west coast. Hey you never know though you might get a guy who will work to make you happy. but you gotta remember its all on paper and he has to show it to the company , when all is said and done. So if thers something that he would rather not try and explain to his boss that all parts were upgraded from what was damaged . He would take the hit.
lets face it. But you could get a easy goin one who says yeh go for it thats fine if you want to pay the difference . But id count on nothing more than what you have now. unless they just cut a check to you. Then yould be golden. but i didnt think theyd do it with a loan on it . interested to see how this goes .

....hmmmm, if that's the case then I may go ahead and pay it off before I schedule for the adjuster to come look at it.

I wonder if all the other guys that chimed in that had checks cut directly to them all had their vehicles paid off. I know of 2 that still had loans outstanding.
I'm going to ask AAA on Monday what their process is on the check cutting.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-25-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default yeh good idea

i know any time ive ever had incident , if theres still a loan out the repairs have to be made to the vehicle to ensure the lien holder dosent get rooked . lets say you cashed check and spent it . Never repaired it ,And then said to lien holder fine come get the vehicle
They dont want a damaged vehicle to auction off . So they loose out on the value. Granted thats not what your doing or intend on. But there are those who would out there, and some real crap boxes for cars that the person would take the check and say screw it. And drive The faulty vehicle and if they get in a accident try and get second claim on a existing issue that was never fixed from first accident . The only secure way for them to cut you the check is if you have no lien on it . Then the bank cant loose out. Then its your decision to do what you will. Thats the way it goes here on east coast anyway for 99% of the time. But i think its up to the insurer . Ive had one just have me get a estimate and sent me the check with no adjuster that even saw it . Rare situation. But i owned it outright too. No lien holder . Its also the same reason they require you to insure a new vehicle before leaving the dealer lot. Unless you pay cash for it. In NH you are not required to insure a vehicle if you own it and no lien holder exists .
That is why people have insurance clause for being hit by un insured drivers. It may be different in Ca. or west coast though. ive never lived out west so laws could vary to a degree ..
"* plus the insurance company wants to make sure the damages all get fixed rather than you saying ahhh ill drive it with a bent tie rod and track bar and keep the cash after cashing the check made to you. rather than the auto repair shop. While they still are liable as the insurer to make the vehicle safe again for the road

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-25-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My reply has been covered.

Last edited by falcon241073; 02-25-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
....hmmmm, if that's the case then I may go ahead and pay it off before I schedule for the adjuster to come look at it.

I wonder if all the other guys that chimed in that had checks cut directly to them all had their vehicles paid off. I know of 2 that still had loans outstanding.
I'm going to ask AAA on Monday what their process is on the check cutting.

I received a check after making my first payment. VA and Allstate insurance......$23,250 left on the loan at that time.

Then....got a check at $5,000 to go for $2,800. $2,800 went into bumper as requested by the adjuster and fender flares as well. I applied the leftover to my monthly payments.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I received a check after making my first payment. VA and Allstate insurance......$23,250 left on the loan at that time.

Then....got a check at $5,000 to go for $2,800. $2,800 went into bumper as requested by the adjuster and fender flares as well. I applied the leftover to my monthly payments.

That's good to hear. Seeing all the different responses, I'm getting the impression that it boils down to what everyone's insurance carrier does. I think in my case if I continue on with doing the claim through AAA is:

1. Call back the shop manager I plan to work with and confirm that if the insurance cuts the check to the shop directly, if they will work with me to put on the axle of my choice even it means paying the difference out of pocket.

Because the specialized Jeep shop doesn't do insurance work and referred his shop directly instead, I'll try to parlay that by saying that if he (the shop manager) is able to work with me on this, then he'll be able to return the favor to the Jeep shop since I would need to get the rear gears done and would have them do it. Then it's a win-win for everyone.

2. Find out what our insurance co's check cutting process is. Determine if I get the check or if the shop gets the check. If I get the check directly then all good. If she replies back that the shop gets the check, I can then pose the follow up question to see if the reason for that is because there's a lien outstanding on the JK. I can then ask her if I could expect to receive the check if I decided to pay off the rest of the rig before deciding to proceed further.

3. Use today to start gathering all receipts and clear the car of personals so it's ready to be towed....

Last edited by DJ1; 02-26-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:37 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Partial update....

Originally Posted by DJ1
That's good to hear. Seeing all the different responses, I'm getting the impression that it boils down to what everyone's insurance carrier does. I think in my case if I continue on with doing the claim through AAA is:

1. Call back the shop manager I plan to work with and confirm that if the insurance cuts the check to the shop directly, if they will work with me to put on the axle of my choice even it means paying the difference out of pocket.

Because the specialized Jeep shop doesn't do insurance work and referred his shop directly instead, I'll try to parlay that by saying that if he (the shop manager) is able to work with me on this, then he'll be able to return the favor to the Jeep shop since I would need to get the rear gears done and would have them do it. Then it's a win-win for everyone.

Shop said they could definitely work with me in getting an upgraded axle installed with money out of pocket if it comes down to it regardless of who the check is cut to. If not to me directly and instead 2 checks are issued, they said to just make sure both checks get cut to me as well as the shop. The 2 check deal sounds like the same thing that urmyboyblue had to deal with.

Also, it turns out that 1 of the main guys in the shop used to work for Geico and he said that AAA was the better option to go through even though I wasn't at fault.

Finally, the good thing is I don't have to pay-off the loan which means $ that is freed up for the upgrades. He stated the 1 other thing I may need to do is just cover the deductible for the time being. AAA would then go after Geico via subrogation then I would get reimbursed.

2. Find out what our insurance co's check cutting process is. Determine if I get the check or if the shop gets the check. If I get the check directly then all good. If she replies back that the shop gets the check, I can then pose the follow up question to see if the reason for that is because there's a lien outstanding on the JK. I can then ask her if I could expect to receive the check if I decided to pay off the rest of the rig before deciding to proceed further.

3. Use today to start gathering all receipts and clear the car of personals so it's ready to be towed....

Last edited by DJ1; 02-27-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Adjuster came out. So far, it's looking pretty good. That's all I'm going to say because I don't wanna jinx it LOL

Old 03-23-2017, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Thanks. Basically what could have been a full on head collision but I was able to swerve a little towards passenger for what small room I had to move such that my front driver's side tire pretty much took most of the hit and it turned into a quasi-side swipe. If I had a full size OEM bumper it would have been hit but I've got the poison spyder brawler lite. He had to be going at least 30 mph. He had no clue I was there right in front of him but said he heard me honk.

It was kinda funny because I saw the whole thing playing in slo-mo and was like oh shit here we go. Somebody's car is about to seriously get jacked lol

lol, this was exactly how mine went yesterday! I seriously think this lady is still alive right now because my 37" tire was the first thing to hit. I was totally looking at her face as I made impact (like slo-mo) and she only started to turn her head to look over as I was making impact. I was on the horn hard and taking evasive action, but she was in another world.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:17 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by GumbyDammit
lol, this was exactly how mine went yesterday! I seriously think this lady is still alive right now because my 37" tire was the first thing to hit. I was totally looking at her face as I made impact (like slo-mo) and she only started to turn her head to look over as I was making impact. I was on the horn hard and taking evasive action, but she was in another world.

Yeah it sucks but hopefully in the end it will make it all worthwhile. Like others were saying, just make sure you can take it to a Jeep shop that does insurance claims. If they don't, then take it to a good body/collision shop that can deal with insurance AND is close to a specialized Jeep/offroad vehicle shop.

The body shop can take care of any body damage and see if there's any frame damage. Then the body shop maybe able to sub-contract out all the undercarriage work to the Jeep shop so it's a win-win.

If you're having trouble finding specialized JK or offroad shops, call some nearby Jeep dealerships and ask them if they have an in-house body/collision shop or if there is a shop they take their own Jeeps to instead. That is also another option.

Good luck man.

Last edited by DJ1; 03-24-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Just got hit......time for upgrades.